Brew Emergency: Wyeast pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
So i just finished brewing a porter, and it is cooling in an ice bath and wort chiller right now.

I never used Wyeast before and didn't read the direction in the back of the package. It says to slap the back, mix, and wait 3 hours before pitching.

1) Would my brew be hurt if i just added the wyeast in 20 minutes?

2) Is it ok to just leave my brew in the sink, covered, once it is cool, then add it to my 3 gallons of water in my carboy? (i brewed a partial boil).

or

3) Could i go ahead and combine my wort with my water now, wait to aerate it, and then 3 hours from now pitch the yeast, then mix and aerate?

Help would greatly be appreciated since go time is almost near.

I would say #3. Cover your fermenter and pitch when the yeast is ready. I've only used a slap-pack once but it won't necessarily take a full three hours to get ready.

This is a a true RDWHAHB moment. Your wort will probably be okay even if you don't pitch until tomorrow.

If I were you just combine everything and put a sanatized lid on your carboy. If everything is sanatized no worries. I would wait the 3 hrs then pitch. Not sure waiting 3 hrs will help anything but it's worth a try. You wont hurt your wort if you wait. I've actually forgotten to pitch before. Waited just about a day before realizing what I did. The beer turned out great... after I pitched my yeast that is.

Relax Dont Worry Have A Home Brew

Or a craft brew if you dont have any home brew on hand :D

I'd probably pitch it as soon as your wort is in the 70's and not worry about it.

Unless I'm doing something low gravity, I always make a starter with liquid yeast (if not I smack the pack prior to starting brewing). Seems the consensus on here is starter = always a good idea. That said, I believe the Wyeast packs say "wait 3 hrs to inflate OR directly pitch into wort". What was your OG? If it's not very high, I'd say just pitch it.

Back