Fizzy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhokie

Reaction score
Just tasted two bottles of a strawberry blonde I bottled 3 1/2 weeks ago. The flavor is right on, but the beer feels really fizzy (almost like soda). It had a good head to it but I was really having a hard time getting past how carbonated it was.

-FG was right on
-used 3.9 oz of table sugar. Normally I use corn sugar to prime but I didn't realize I was out of it until I was all ready. I used the nomograph in "How to Brew" to achieve 2.5 volumes of CO2.
-Carb for 3 1/2 weeks, sat in fridge for 3 days before serving

Any ideas? Could the table sugar lead to the beers fizzyness (I adjusted to compensate). It tastes great but I turn into a burping machine after a few sips.

The chart shows the expected amount of carbonation based on volume of beer, sugar added, AND temperature. I'm thinking perhaps it conditioned a bit warmer than you expected, such as if you turn the AC up when you leave for work, it was in a warmer room or whatever. That could explain it.

I suppose that could be the case. On a related note why is it that a warmer beer requires a greater amount of sugar to carbonate to a certain level than a colder beer. I'm referring to the nomograph here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

According to the chart at 75 deg to achieve 3 volumes of CO2 you would need around 5.5 oz of corn sugar, while at 35 deg you would only need 3ish oz.

Those temperatures are for the beer coming out of the fermenter. Cold liquids absorb more CO2, so for instance if you were cold crashing or lagering a beer, it is already semi carbonated when it goes into the bottling bucket, and then into bottles, therefore less priming sugar.

And ambient temperatures aren't going to change the amount of CO2 produced, just the speed at which it produces it.

I'm ready to bottle a Klosch and don't want to another batch of fizzy beer. It lagered at 40 deg for 3 weeks after primary fermentation was complete. I brought it up to 65 deg to make sure the yeast finished its work. I intended to bottle three days after raising the temp, but I got busy and its been sitting at 65 for about 2 weeks now.

When I'm calculating my priming sugar do I use the 65 deg temp or the 40? Will the C02 remain in solution after the temp rise? I suppose this is part of the fun of moving away from prepacked kits.

Back