HBT Cigar Pass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
One of my other vices is cigars and I am considering starting a HBT Cigar Pass.

For those that don't know what a cigar pass is, I'll try my best to keep it simple.

Premise:
The pass starter (that would be me) packs up 10-30 cigars and they are sent to the participants (thats you guys/gals) and along the way each one of you take the cigars you want, and replace them with sticks of equal/greater value and "pass" it to the next participant in line. Once it reaches the last member it will be shipped back to me.

The purpose of this is trade/acquire different cigars and to have fun.

The Rules - taken/followed from cigarpass.com

1. This pass will be limited to 12 people unless we get alot of interested parties and if that happens I will break this into two/three different passes based upon geographic locations.
  2. Your Puts/Takes must be approved before you ship the pass to the next participant. Since I believe for the most part in democracy, this is a group based decision.
  3. A disposable camera will be included with the pass, and you MUST take 1 picture that includes your "takes" and either your homebrew (ie, finished product, equiptment, enjoyment,etc) or with a landmark around your area. If anyone doesn't understand this please let me know and I'll try to explain it.
  4. I must have everyones address before the pass begins.
  5. I also will be including extra cigar bags for your puts, and I will be including preprinted USPS labels. So all you have to do is slap the proper label on the box and pay for the shipping.
  6. Once you have the cigar pass, you may take a few cigars (unless otherwise specified), and replace it with other cigars of equal or greater value. You may not place a lower quality/valued cigar (machine made, etc.) in the pass, unless otherwise specified.
  7. If you are planning on not being around when the box is to arrive at your home/office, PLEASE alert everyone in the pass letting them know you will not be around, so they may re-route the pass. Be courteous, people don't like to have Cigar Passes held up. It is a good idea to post a message in our "Cigar Pass" forum letting everyone know if you plan on being out of town when you are suppose to receive the box. Communication is key.
  8. Be courteous to others in the pass. If it seems the cigar pass box requires any work such as increasing humidity or repackaging/replacing the box, please do so. You do not want the next person in the pass to receive a box of dried, crushed cigars. Pack the tupperware (tupperdor) in a box with peanuts. This will keep the cigars safe and free from damage.
  9. Be prompt. Try not to keep the box for too long. Typically, once you receive the box, make the exchange and mail it off ASAP. It's more fun to have the box make its rounds through the pass quickly. 1-3 days is a good turn around time. Any longer is too long.
  10. Do NOT steal anyone's property.. Be courteous to the Cigar Pass Originators. If the originator of a pass includes shipping labels, markers and anything else that is not to be taken out of the box, please do not keep it. Use it for the purpose intended, and place it back in the box.
  11. One of the most important rules is: If you are in a pass and have not yet received the box and you know you are going to be out of town when the box comes to you, please notify the originator/members of the pass so that it may be re-routed. Please do not hold up a pass.

I will be posting the stick list later tonight. Until then...

*Edit* Cigar List
  • Gurkha Legend Robusto
  • FF Opus X
  • Cohiba Robusto (RedDot/DR)
  • Torano 1916 Cameroon Robusto
  • 5 Vegas Gold Robusto
  • CAO Brazilia Gol!
  • Torano Exodus 1959 Tubo
  • Gurkha Regent Robusto
  • RP Vintage 1992 Robusto
  • Padron 3000
  • El Mejor Espresso Torpedo
  • REO Chairman by RP
  • Torano Signature Churchill
  • WOAM (Work of Art Maduro - 2005)
  • Torano Virtuoso Robusto
  • Perdomo2
  • Gurkha Grand Master
  • Mag 46 - (From 2004)
  • PLPC - (From 2004)
  • RASS - (Nov 2005)
  • CAO Italia Ciao
  • Padron 1964 Exclusivo

I'm game for this, have a pretty nice selection if everyone sticks with reasonable priced cigars it'll work out great. I don't buy 'em by the box when they get into the $8/ea or higher price range. I do have some well aged (kept in proper humidity the whole time) cigars that are 9+ years old...

LouT said:
I'm game for this, have a pretty nice selection if everyone sticks with reasonable priced cigars it'll work out great. I don't buy 'em by the box when they get into the $8/ea or higher price range. I do have some well aged (kept in proper humidity the whole time) cigars that are 9+ years old...

I'm not sure of everyone's price range so I included some cheaper smokes ($3-8) range and then a few prem/super prem for the EAC's of BOTL's.

I got some awesome ones for trade, including an aged Swisher Sweet and a couple of Backwoods that I found under my car seat.

I'd be game, my only concern is that I pretty much travel all week and am only home weekends. I wouldn't want to hold the whole thing up for a full week, but if the mail was timed right it wouldn't be a problem.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Hmm.. Not a big cigar guy, but am tempted none the less. Uhm.. not sure the cross border issues here, especially if cubans are involved. (cubans are legal here).

1. Mag 46 - (From 2004)
  2. PLPC - (From 2004)
  3. RASS - (Nov 2005)
That apparently ain't a problem. ;)

Cheesefood said:
I'm not giving up my grape flavored wraps! Those are for me.
I'm worried that your cigars will be the ones that crackle when you smoke 'em!
The grape wraps are ok, but the apple ones are the best.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Hmm.. Not a big cigar guy, but am tempted none the less. Uhm.. not sure the cross border issues here, especially if cubans are involved. (cubans are legal here).

That is a good question. I've never been in a pass that involved anyone from Canada. But my concerns would be these.

1.) Duty issues on the package sent to you.
2.) Confiscation of ISOM's on the return package to the states.

Cheesefood said:
I got some awesome ones for trade, including an aged Swisher Sweet and a couple of Backwoods that I found under my car seat.

Just for you I will include a Grape White Owl!

TheJadedDog said:
I'd be game, my only concern is that I pretty much travel all week and am only home weekends. I wouldn't want to hold the whole thing up for a full week, but if the mail was timed right it wouldn't be a problem.

We could either put you at the beginning or the end of the pass?

the_bird said:
No Blunts?

I'll add a strawberry Phillie just for you.

SwAMi75 said:
[/LIST]That apparently ain't a problem. ;)

See above

LouT said:
I'm worried that your cigars will be the ones that crackle when you smoke 'em!
The grape wraps are ok, but the apple ones are the best.

Nice grill!

I have an honest interest as I like cigars. And now that it's warm out again, I can sit on the porch at night and enjoy one.

Bag those fruited gaygars separate from the others, PLEASE!!!!!

Next, I think adding $3 cigars in the pass is a silly idea since the shipping is going to be at least that much. I'm no rich man myself, but if I'm going to go through the hassle of shipping a package like that, I want to swap premium smokes for the trouble. I wouldn't want something over $20 (just my personal limit, not telling other people what to do with their money), but I would think someone a fool for participating if they didn't take something worth at least $6 or $7, so I would set that as the minimum price, just my opinion, of course, but who is going to go through the trouble of shipping back and forth, but blink at paying an extra $2 for a cigar?

Finally, I'm in!!! :mug:

Back