To late to plant hops this year???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
I was planning on planting some hops earlier this year but life got in the way and now I have a little bit of time. Do you all think it is to late 2 plant this year or will I be ok?

I am planning on planting in a planter box that is 29"L x 14"W x 11"H. Would this be sufficient space for the hop root system?

Tia
Ken

Plant them.

Bigger the planter the better...

You ever seen Little Shop of Horrors?

These aren't some pansy tomato plants here...

They will grow. lol.

Old Ma Nature gives you Canucks a break. I've planted them as late as late June and had good results. The ones I planted on the 4th of July last year began to sprout, but ended up returning to the earth about a month later. We did have a pretty hot July last year. Actually, prime time for planting is now. but you can have good success getting them established through June. You just probably won't have a whole lot of growth during the establishment year but they'll take off like rockets the next year. Give it a go. Aey!

Plant em whenever you can. Might not get a great crop the first year if you plant them too late, but they'll still come up strong next year!

The biggest thing is to buy them right now! You can plant in the summer as long as you water them well. The hard part is buying rhizomes before the stores sell out!

I think your box is a bit narrow but should work. The bines will reach out and try to spread. As long as it's deep enough, they will be fine.

Plan on a 15 foot or higher string for them to climb up. And don't underestimate the weight of a full bine. They can get heavy!

Back