Gluten Free Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbachunk

Reaction score
For those of you who do gluten free brews and make a starter what do you use as your yeast fuel? I am wondering because my sis cant have gluten and i want to make starters for my meads but cant use dme and honey is not nutricious enough imo.

For GF Beer I just use some Sorghum LME. And plenty of GF yeast nutrients.

For Mead you can probably just use some Honey to get the OG of your starter near 1.040-1.060 and then just make sure to add plenty of GF yeast nutrients.

I typically use di-ammonium phosphate as yeast fuel, as many of the other varieties of yeast fuel don't say what's in them, or they incorporate yeast hulls that were likely derived from a glutenous base.

I would just use Sorghum for both. Most nutricious (to yeast) gluten free malt in the world methinks.

For those of you who do gluten free brews and make a starter what do you use as your yeast fuel? I am wondering because my sis cant have gluten and i want to make starters for my meads but cant use dme and honey is not nutricious enough imo.

What kind of yeast are you using? You should be using dry yeast if you want it to be 100% gluten free and in that case, skip the starter and use to packages of yeast.

With the few (maybe two?) for beer I have done so far, I've tried sorghum extract and brown rice syrup solids. I'd probably add a little bit of yeast nutrients if/when I do brss again. I haven't tried a comparison between the two. I would probably go with honey and nutrients for a mead though.

For GF Beer I just use some Sorghum LME. And plenty of GF yeast nutrients.

For Mead you can probably just use some Honey to get the OG of your starter near 1.040-1.060 and then just make sure to add plenty of GF yeast nutrients.

I typically use di-ammonium phosphate as yeast fuel, as many of the other varieties of yeast fuel don't say what's in them, or they incorporate yeast hulls that were likely derived from a glutenous base.

DAP is great once things get going, but is not recommended for starters according to lallemand.

Back