Mulling Spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzywumpers

Reaction score
I found a recipe for a winter ale that sounds great. the only thing I'm unsure of is the fact that it calls for Mulling spices. I realize that mulling spices refer to cinnamon, nutmeg, etc... However I am wondering if there is a pre-made blend of mulling spices I can find in the store, or if I would have to do it myself. Any help would be awesome.

Recipe:
9# Simpson's Golden Promise
1# Simpson's Medium Crystal
1 OZ. US Goldings (60 min.)
1/2 OZ. Mulling Spices (0 min.)
Scotish Ale Yeast

Mash 60min. @153

I cannot recommend a specific blend of spices but I can give you this bit of advice: You can always add more, you cannot take any back out. Start small with the spices or your beer may need three months in the bottle to mellow out and be drinkable.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try Allspice. It is supposed to have the same cinamon, nutmeg, and clove flavors. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Mulling spices often also have dried orange peel and some other spices as well, including allspice. I think mulling spices would give you more complex flavor. My grocery store doesn't have mulling spices but the fancy/natural grocery store on the other side of town does so you may have to look around or go to a large store to find them but there are many mulling spice mixes out there. Just make sure you get one that has chunks of spices, not ground spices.

Back