Blueberry//Chocolate stout: How much do I add for a 1 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm going to brew two semi-different 5-gallon batches of an oatmeal stout (one partial, one AG). Since I don't really want 10 gallons of an oatmeal stout sitting around, I wanted to make some slight variations. I was thinking of taking 1-2 gallons of each (into a separate secondary) to make a blueberry oatmeal stout and a coffee oatmeal stout. I plan on using real (crushed) blueberries; I will crush them so the sour skin won't reflect in the brew. I also plan on just using some regular grounded coffee (possibly a decaf hazelnut).

My questions are,
1) How much blueberries should I crush/use for 1 gallon of beer so the blueberry taste is noticeable in the brew (above just a vague/mild flavor)?

2) I plan to cold-brew the coffee (I think?) by grinding the coffee beans ([a] how much grinded coffee should I use for 1 gallon of beer?), letting it sit in water ( How much water should I use?) for 1-2 days, filter the grind/beans from the coffee/water, and then put the cold-brewed coffee in my secondary to be racked onto.

Thanks

I routinely make a Blueberry Porter and I use 6-7 lbs berries for 5 gallons. The taste is mild and about what you are looking for with just a tinge of pink/blue in the head.

I'd say for a stout make it 1.5 lbs blueberries. Freeze them first. Then crush after thaw.

I routinely make a Blueberry Porter and I use 6-7 lbs berries for 5 gallons. The taste is mild and about what you are looking for with just a tinge of pink/blue in the head.

I'd say for a stout make it 1.5 lbs blueberries. Freeze them first. Then crush after thaw.

Yeah, I got em frozen already (got like 8lbs worth). Thanks, I'll probably go around 1.5.

It's been a while and I ended up using 3lbs of frozen blueberries and smashing them into a pulp (literally ;)). Put the mashed blueberry pulp-juice into two 1-gallon secondaries evenly and racked on top of them.

My question is: how much extra alcohol do you think 1.5lbs per gallon (or 3lbs in general) will produce? It's been sitting in the secondary for 3+ days and it's still fermenting (after the initial oatmeal stout had stopped). I'm thinking it could add anywhere from 2-3 ABV.

This might be off topic, but what about throwing fresh blueberries in the blender? Any reason that wouldn't work?

This might be off topic, but what about throwing fresh blueberries in the blender? Any reason that wouldn't work?

Yes, you can do that- just make sure you have something to strain it with and don't completely pulverize them (or try not to). You want the juices in them, not the skins. The goal is to keep the skins out.

Back