Look out, Miller Lite is now triple hopped.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats so funny that this was already posted. i just so the commerical again and logged on to write about it and then so this. it drives me nuts. i just don't understand the logic of the ad. i don't think miller light drinkers like hops and drinkers that like hops don't drink miller light. so how do they win saying its triple hop brewed
I'm not sure the average BMC drinker knows what hops are

It reminds me of the Budweiser Select ad that claimed it was "brewed longer for low carb stats." My roommate at the time used to give me **** that I needed to brew my beer longer.

What about the new Coors Light commercials? Where there are 3 guys at a baseball game, and after each one takes a sip of thier "cold refreshing coors light" they are transported to some fantasy dream world where they are the coolest people in the world. I love those commercials. They are always good for a chuckle when I am drinking a nice homebrewed beer!

I'm not sure the average BMC drinker knows what hops are
I would bet that a significant number of casual beer drinkers think beer is made from hops (in the way we think it's made from malted barley)...and that's with them not even knowing what they are.

I doubt the average person knows what 'Beechwood aging' is either...heck I didn't know until recently.

I def don't get annoyed though...amused is a better word. Always reminds me of 'fine Corinthian leather'.:D

Hey, we can't help it that the brewmaster at Miller just learned about hops!

Seriously though. I hate the most that they are calling it "triple hops brewing". Like they are the innovator of a long known and highly regarded brewing practice. **** that, come back when I can actually taste hops on your beer.

I think it opens a door to discuss brewing and ingredients to the BMC drinker and get them thinking about trying different beers.

Personally I don't care what somebody prefers but I do like the increase in options for a good ale when I'm away from home as more and more people seem to be amenable to trying something out of the ordinary. :mug:

Hey, we can't help it that the brewmaster at Miller just learned about hops!

Seriously though. I hate the most that they are calling it "triple hops brewing". Like they are the innovator of a long known and highly regarded brewing practice. **** that, come back when I can actually taste hops on your beer.

Exactly. It's "Triple Hops Brewed" and then they have a little (TM) there to let you know that it is a trademarked slogan of Miller.

Couldn't trademark a process, so they trademark a grammatical error. Triple hops makes me think they use a blend of three hops, not that hops are added three times during the first 30 seconds of the 60 minute boil.

The real question is whether the additions are before or after the camel piss.

:D

Exactly. It's "Triple Hops Brewed" and then they have a little (TM) there to let you know that it is a trademarked slogan of Miller.

Couldn't trademark a process, so they trademark a grammatical error. Triple hops makes me think they use a blend of three hops, not that hops are added three times during the first 30 seconds of the 60 minute boil.

The real question is whether the additions are before or after the camel piss.

Before or after....how about during? Otherwise there might be an aspect of the beer that doesn't taste like piss, and BMC knows how much people love to drink piss with a thimble of alcohol poured in! So you think they drop the camels in or is there a piss platform above the monstrosity tank?

From Season 8 Episode 10 of The Simpsons "THE SPRINGFIELD FILES"

[Scene: Moe's Tavern. Homer is there.]

MOE: Another Duff, Homer?

HOMER: Nah, it's Friday night, Moe. I wanna try something special.

MOE: Uh, sure, sure. (He puts two dots above the U on the Duff bottle.) Here you go. Düff from Sweden.

(He hands it to Homer.)

HOMER: Skoal! (He takes a swig.) Wait a minute, this is Duff.

MOE: Yeah, you got me didn't you. All right, here you go. Red Tick Beer.

(Homer takes a swig.)

HOMER: Mmm. Bold, refreshing, and something I can't put my finger on.

[Cut to the Red Tick Beer Brewery. Three dogs are swimming around in the beer. A man tastes it.]

MAN: Mmm, needs more dog.

Some years back one of the big boys was marketing their latest tasteless offering as being "brewed with less water, for greater taste". You might be inclined to think they might mean increasing the gravity, but given how it tasted (which wasn't "greater" in my book) that was definitely not what they meant. I suspect that in reality "brewed with less water" meant they didn't mop up the brewery as often.

Some years back one of the big boys was marketing their latest tasteless offering as being "brewed with less water, for greater taste". You might be inclined to think they might mean increasing the gravity, but given how it tasted (which wasn't "greater" in my book) that was definitely not what they meant. I suspect that in reality "brewed with less water" meant they didn't mop up the brewery as often.

Or perhaps they discovered a cheaper, lower quality water substitute?

Triple Hop brewed? A unique process?!

Are they allowed to say that its "unique" to add hops at 3 different times during a boil? It also amuses me that Miller is trying to counter the "drinkability" movement by assuring the common man that their triple hop technique makes their beer a quality product... Oh well, more good beer for the rest of us!

Yeah, prior to this ad campaign you could say to me "triple-hopped light american lager" and I'd think "wow, that'd taste terrible".

What exactly is "frost brewed beer"? I saw it on a Coors light commercial. I always boil mine.

Its marketing mumbo-jumbo. Its just non-sense to make people think they are getting something special.

These companies would be better off using their long history and tradition in brewing to market their beer rather than stoop to these mis-leading marketing ploys.

They would be wiser and more honest to show what quality tests they do during the brewing process.

"Frost brewed" is like "blast processing" with the Sega Genesis, or as someone mentioned earlier, "Corinthian leather". It's just a marketing term that means nothing.

At least I DO have to give props to Miller for even mentioning a real brewing process rather than the standard BMC style ads, but the Triple Hops Brewed thing is simply a marketing gimmick to create brand recognition. People are getting a little more savvy as to what goes in their beer now due to the explosion in non-BMC offerings in the past couple decades, though, so it may backfire on them. Case in point... this thread.

I will admit to drinking Miller products occasionally (High Life, although it gives me a nasty hangover if I drink too much of it), but it's like eating junk food. Junk food isn't exactly gourmet, and trying to make it look like it is is not really a wise move if your customers know better. "It's Time You Got Hip to the Hops"? Yeah, that's what IPAs are for, not Miller Lite.

To me it sounds like even the marketing people are ignorant themselves.

Wouldn't anyone who knows a little bit about beer making think this is a bunch of hoopla over nothing? Like saying we used natural spring water. Whipity-farking-woo. Its like bragging about step mashing grain & corn.

I bet they didn't run this campaign through a trial group of viewers.

Aren't we over-thinking this just a bit? Marketing is the same for everything - "Triple" is simply a cheap trick to imply that something is three times better than the regular thing. It's irrelevant if it's hops, blades on your razor, or the thickness of kitchen roll, they're just trying to make us feel we're buying a better product, no matter if it really is or not.

This commercial I keep getting on the radio station Internet stream I listen to is killing me. When the hell is the "foaming head addition"?

I'm sure there is some truth in their advertising. I'm sure that adding 1 hop pellet 3 times to a 5000bbl batch allows them to claim "Triple hop additions"

Being "triple hopped" is still way better than advertising a beer to be "cold".I mean it's ridiculous.Cold,down easy!?!? They should just say"for people who cant handle vodka!Get **** faced on coors light!

I don't think it's thread jacking.All BMC commercials equally suck unless they involve half naked chicks:rockin:

Is Guinness on this same "triple hop" bandwagon as Miller?

And again, what is exactly innovative about using "ale and stout" malt? Either they mean they're using a base malt and a roasted barley or they're just plain not making sense.

The description from ratebeer.com is below.

Commercial Description:
Made with a double brew stream that combines two types of malts, ale and stout. Carbonated. Uses Guinness yeast, triple hops and roasted barley.

Guinness 250 Anniversary Stout from St. James’s Gate (Diageo) - Ratebeer

Hold on. We don't know how much and at what times they add the hops. Now, I may be wrong, but isn't there a reason that we homebrewers add hops at different times? Bitter, flavor, aroma?

There just may be something to this triple hopping that makes their light, yellow, fizzy beer better than the other guys' light, yellow, fizzy beer! More aroma maybe?

Who wants to do a comparison tasting?

I hate those commercials - the worst is when one of my non-homebrewing friends asks if that's a big deal and having to explain it's lack of significance. Oh well.

I ended up at a party on Saturday where the host had a bunch of beer, most BMC, but some crafts for me :) After I finished a bomber of IPA ( to match the 6-pak of HopSlam I had earlier in the day), and a couple of Red Stripes, I was down to Amstel Light or Miller.

That is when I came up with a new plan. Need to build a portable Hopback and a way of pushing Miller through it. Then it might be palatable (not good, just better than lukewarm well water) :)

Any thoughts?

I ended up at a party on Saturday where the host had a bunch of beer, most BMC, but some crafts for me :) After I finished a bomber of IPA ( to match the 6-pak of HopSlam I had earlier in the day), and a couple of Red Stripes, I was down to Amstel Light or Miller.

That is when I came up with a new plan. Need to build a portable Hopback and a way of pushing Miller through it. Then it might be palatable (not good, just better than lukewarm well water) :)

Any thoughts?

I had some fresh hops flowers from my garden last fall. Not enough to brew with, though. I used them to freshen up some Blatz. I'm sure this would work for any beer.

I could imagine a hop pellet in a tea bag device. In the very least you'd get some hops aroma from the pellet, and it can really help out the taste!

What you want is a Randall. As in "Randall the Enamel Animal."

Oh crap. I have one of these whole house filters, already set up with 1/4" barbs that I used as a beer filter.

Let's see. A modified tool belt, a modified BM Beer gun, and a portable C02 cartridge.... Damn, another project to do.

Unlike Canada, megabrew beer is so cheap in the US, I'm surprised you don't use Coors light or miller light for brewing water.

I remember stopping at a grocery store in Oroville WA and seeing a 16oz bottle of Miller high life for cheaper than a 12oz bottle of water.

I just heard on a Miller radio commercial that they add the third hop addition to "help with creating a nice head" or some BS. Now, hops do help with head retention, but who has ever used hops for that reason?

I also love that their angle now is that you probably don't care, but we're telling you anyway. WTF do they mean by that?

Unlike Canada, megabrew beer is so cheap in the US, I'm surprised you don't use Coors light or miller light for brewing water.

I remember stopping at a grocery store in Oroville WA and seeing a 16oz bottle of Miller high life for cheaper than a 12oz bottle of water.

LOL I'd bet that is a true story! We'd use the megabrew, but the water is better tasting.

I just heard on a Miller radio commercial that they add the third hop addition to "help with creating a nice head" or some BS. Now, hops do help with head retention, but who has ever used hops for that reason?

I also love that their angle now is that you probably don't care, but we're telling you anyway. WTF do they mean by that?

I've used it in an IPA for that reason. Ok, maybe not JUST for that reason, but it's a nice side effect.

I think what they are trying to say is that you wouldn't care if we didn't tell you, but once you find out, you will want to buy Miller from now on because we are special.

Latest posts

Back