immersion chiller tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/8 In. x 20 Ft. Soft Copper Coil, Type Refrigeration

Model D 06020

$21.90/RL Roll

ok I'll checkout coppertubingsales.. I want the Refrigeration type correct? With 50 ft. for 5 gal batches, should I think about making different size loops to get the inside and outside of the loop cooled, or all the same size loops should work fine?

thanks

If you wind it around a form so that the outside diameter is pretty close to your pot's diameter, you'd be surprized how short of a coil you'll end up with, even at 50'. This will leave room for you to stir the wort while chilling. If you think you'll ever step up to 10 gallon batches, you might want to think about the 1/2" OD. For the time being, the upper coils will remain unexposed but it doesn't HURT chilling on smaller batches. The price difference is negligable.

I placed an order for
ORDER DETAILS:
QTY TYPE SIZE LENGTH PRICE TOTAL
1 REFRIDGE 3/8 50 Feet 39.69 39.69

SHIPPING: 10
TOTAL: 49.69

I don't have any kegs to wrap the tubing around.. what's another good suggestion? right now I'm using a turkey fryer pot for the kettle..

thanks

I've heard of people using a coffee can. Anything hard that's about as big around as a corny keg should fit just fine.

(Now why did that just sound dirty...)

I used a round Quikrete concrete form. Home Depot has 8" and 12" forms, and I returned mine when I was finished.

Filter? You're just passing cold water through it that will go down the drain (although some folks save it to water their gardens, etc) so I don't think you need to filter anything.

Does anyone know what diameter is best for the inside of a converted Sanke? I'm probably going to go the concrete form route, too.

I used a round Quikrete concrete form. Home Depot has 8" and 12" forms, and I returned mine when I was finished.

Good idea. I've been wondering what to use. The geometry of my kettle a is bit squat and the result is that my corny keg OD is just too narrow compared to the kettle diameter. Maybe I can look for an even bigger form.

Latest posts

Back