whats the strangest item you have seen and thought you could use it to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. I'll play. - A garage door opener. Used the motor and gears to slow down the RPM's of a pump used to pump through my plate chiller.

I saw a 5 gallon carboy shaped like a pig one time in a thrift store. It's nose was the opening. Pretty cool but I passed on it.

An aluminum car trailer. We turned it into our AG brew rig, thanks to a sawzall and a TIG welder... :D

My cats use a litter that is just crushed wheat (works amazingly, btw). I'm fairly positive it could be used in any recipe that uses unmalted wheat but I think I'd have a hard time justifying it to the wife.

I am going to start a thread on it soon and post the pics, but I used a box of Betty Crooker cherry chip cake mix to make, "Marie Antoinette's Let them Drink Cake" Ale. Its frementing wildly now.

I am going to start a thread on it soon and post the pics, but I used a box of Betty Crooker cherry chip cake mix to make, "Marie Antoinette's Let them Drink Cake" Ale. Its frementing wildly now.

That's a cool concept. I wonder if the cherry flavor will carry over well to the finished product?

That's a cool concept. I wonder if the cherry flavor will carry over well to the finished product?

House smelled like cake. I BIAB'ed/mashed some pils, then removed the bag and grains and then did a second mash with the mix. My plan was to pull the second bag and then add egg and oil and bake the cake with the "spent mix". But when I pulled the bag, it was empty. The mix completely dissolved. It added lots of gravity points to the wort, and smells great. I'm curious whether the nice smell will go away as it ferments. We'll see.

Back