Weird 10 gal keg, ever seen this lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Hi, I just acquired 2 10 gal firestone kegs. they have the old style posts that need the plastic spacer underneath. Replacing those and the poppets are not an issue. The issue is that is has a round lid, not oval, not race track. the lid screws on and has a 1/4" threaded post that stick up through the lid which is two pieces with an o ring sandwiched in between, you tighten a wingnut to tighten the two parts together and squish the o ring which seals on the lip of the keg. it does seem to hold pressure but its not a standard corny o ring its smaller and much softer. anyone seem one like it or know where to get parts? the lid does not contain a pressure relief. the pressure relief is on the keg itself so I know its a pressure tank, its says nothing but firestone on it no other markings. and for the pics, and it did small like soda so I dont think it was for any kind of chemical tank
144cu0y.jpg

2h5la83.jpg

oaw4g6.jpg

Wow, no replies? Anyway after cleaning I found one more stamp at the bottom "FIRESTONE SANALLOY"
It seems sanalloy is a 316 grade stainless mostly used for dairy equipment. I guess I have a 10 gallon ball lock milk can. Oh well. It will still hold beer just fine.

did you ever find the gasket for this? We have one in need of a new one and dont have the dimensions of the old one..

I called a crap ton of O ring manufacturers. It's not an off the shelf item. Without making a custom run I was advised to buy gasket "rope stock". They sell it at mcmaster in various thicknesses and length. You cut the size you need and then use superglue to make it into a ring. Mine still seal so I haven't had to make a new one yet. I can measure it tomorrow if it helps.

It actually seals great, better than my normal oval lid kegs.
Smokinghole- if you have any parts you aren't using for this style keg let me know I would like to have spares.

No parts. Mine came here with just a lid. I got a second one too that a guy began converting into a conical. The issue is that is bare too. I was going to get the ports welded shut and add my own tc fittings if I wanted to spend cash.

I called a crap ton of O ring manufacturers. It's not an off the shelf item. Without making a custom run I was advised to buy gasket "rope stock". They sell it at mcmaster in various thicknesses and length. You cut the size you need and then use superglue to make it into a ring. Mine still seal so I haven't had to make a new one yet. I can measure it tomorrow if it helps.

Measurements would be great. Also if you could take some pictures so I have an idea what it even looks like would be amazing!

thanks

If you have a rubber and gasket company locally they can probably make it cheap enough. We had a local gasket company make a handful of o-rings for a job and they only costs a few bucks each. We went back later for two custom larger ones and they just make them up and gave them to us for free since it was such a small order and they wanted to keep us coming back for more business.

O ring size is 5/16 thickness. Measurement is 3 1/8" Id x 3 3/4 od.
There aren't any suppliers with this size. You will have to make one like I described.

It is round profile although it kinda squished into a square after awhile. I would think a square one might work as well.

Anyone ever find gaskets for these? I just picked one up off ebay not knowing it had a different style lid.. it seals ok for now but would be nice to find new gaskets..

Back