I need an extract recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm planning on brewing two beers this Sunday. The first I've decided on the BYO Bad Santa recipe. And I'm looking for suggestions for a second. Fruit beers are out as are wheat beers and IPAs (I've already got those three types bottled). I went to the recipe section, and while there are a ton of good recipes, most are all grain. I'm thinking maybe a lager or saison perhaps. A porter? Any tried and true, full flavored beers out there? Thanks for your help!

Robust Porter:

3 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract
3 lbs Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract
1 lbs Crystal 60 (60.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Cara-pils/Dextrine (12.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 oz Perle [8.60%] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU
1.00 oz Willamette [4.80%] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast-Ale

Thanks lumpher, I've never tried a porter before...I'll keep this in consideration. Are there any other suggestions out there? I'm all ears.

Porter or stout

I agree.
If you want something a little different, robust, and strong for the winter season, here is a great recipe:
Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

A good friend and I brewed this the other day. It's very highly rated, and when you move to secondary fermentation, you actually add a pint of bourbon to the wort! How awesome is that?

Happy Brewing!

To OP -- most all-grain recipes can be converted to extract with grains pretty easily. we can help you or if you take an all grain recipe to your local homebrew store, they can do it for you.

Thanks everyone for helping out! I think I've settled on a porter. Now my options are the one listed above by lumpher, or the link sent by torrible. I think I'm also going to add some bourbon oak cubes. Zandrello, thanks for the link as well, but I've committed to not using any kits and getting to know my LHBS. Progmac, that's a great point and going forward, if I find an all grain I like then I'll definitely ask for help converting it. I'd really like to move to all grain anyway, so hopefully I can make that happen soon.

I think I'm also going to add some bourbon oak cubes.

Soak 1-2 oz of med toasted oak cubes in 375 ml of bourbon during primary fermentation. Add to secondary. Remove oak cubes when you think the taste is a touch more oaky than you would want. Carbonate and enjoy, realizing the bourbon and oak will take months to really blend well with the porter.

You may want to split the batch so you can enjoy some beer now and the bourbon batch around New Years.

:mug:

I think I'm also going to add some bourbon oak cubes. Zandrello, thanks for the link as well, but I've committed to not using any kits and getting to know my LHBS.

Hey man, that's great! Support your local guys. I would LOVE to do that, but unfortunately, the town I live in does not have any LHBS :(

But anyways, (if you wanted to check out the bourbon side of things more), for research purposes, here is the link to the actual Instructions and Ingredients for the Bourbon Porter we made:
Bourbon Barrel Porter Documentation

Like I said, you can just read over this as research, but since that lists out all the ingredients, you could certainly get that whole recipe filled at your LHBS. IN FACT, that's exactly what my friend and I did. We just took that recipe into his LHBS in Tulsa called "High Gravity", and they filled it for us no problem!

Happy Brewing. :mug:

Soak 1-2 oz of med toasted oak cubes in 375 ml of bourbon during primary fermentation. Add to secondary. Remove oak cubes when you think the taste is a touch more oaky than you would want. Carbonate and enjoy, realizing the bourbon and oak will take months to really blend well with the porter.

You may want to split the batch so you can enjoy some beer now and the bourbon batch around New Years.

:mug:

Awesome advice Torrible. I will forward that on to my friend for his bourbon porter. Question though, why soak oak cubes, instead of just dumping the pint of bourbon into secondary?

You get more extraction out of the oak while you are waiting for the primary to finish. Then you already have an oaked flavor bourbon that you are adding to the secondary.

However, you very well can add the oak during secondary and then add the bourbon to taste to the keg or bottling bucket. I have done both and just like the extraction and blending that begins to happen when the oak is soaking in the bourbon.

Fantastic advice everyone. I plan on getting another fermenter to add to my ale pale and 5 gal glass carboy. So while one bucket will hold the Bad Santa, I will ferment the porter in the other bucket, then rack half onto bourbon oak cubes in the glass carboy after a week. This is a plan! Thanks again everyone!

snyklez said:
I will ferment the porter in the other bucket, then rack half onto bourbon oak cubes in the glass carboy after a week.

You should probably wait until primary fermentation is finished, which could be in a week, before racking. I would use your hydrometer as a gauge rather than time.

Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, good plan. I'll keep you all updated on how it goes.

Back