Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to brew tomorrow. This looks to be an amazing brew. No sorachi - I have either citra or nelson sauvin - any thoughts?

I used Citra with this recipe, A LOT of it lol. it came out to 70 IBU and under 5% (my grain milling was horrible) but the hops/yeast strain complement each other and they both shine. Go Citra all the way!

knownfactor said:
I used Citra with this recipe, A LOT of it lol. it came out to 70 IBU and under 5% (my grain milling was horrible) but the hops/yeast strain complement each other and they both shine. Go Citra all the way!

Tried .25 citra and .25 nelson - fermenting now!

Take a gravity reading and see where it's at, I have often had this beer ferment out really fast, but bubble seemingly forever because of absorbed co2 from the fermentation process, the only sure way to know its done is to check the gravity with your hydrometer over a few days, when it's dead stable, it's done

Gravity stabilized at 1.003 and I bottled it this weekend. The rosemary and pepper definitely came through. Glad I did not boil the rosemary very long. Certainly a unique Saison. Can't wait to pop one open in a few weeks.

Going to brew tomorrow. This looks to be an amazing brew. No sorachi - I have either citra or nelson sauvin - any thoughts?

I brewed it as a split batch with one of each at the prescribed amounts. I like the nelson more than the citra, but they are both quite good.

Got it in the keg Monday. Rushed through the process and forgot to sanitize bottles. I had about 3/4 of the keg full and was like huh... im forgetting something. Dang it I just wont have any in bottles lol. Going to dial the pressure down tonight and let it sit at 10 psi for a while aka until I float one of my current kegs. Cant wait to pour one of these. Checked the gravity again at kegging (and tasted the sample) and it is still at 1.003 and the really "potent" hops taste that was there previously has smoothed out greatly.

BrewLou said:
Got it in the keg Monday. Rushed through the process and forgot to sanitize bottles. I had about 3/4 of the keg full and was like huh... im forgetting something. Dang it I just wont have any in bottles lol. Going to dial the pressure down tonight and let it sit at 10 psi for a while aka until I float one of my current kegs. Cant wait to pour one of these. Checked the gravity again at kegging (and tasted the sample) and it is still at 1.003 and the really "potent" hops taste that was there previously has smoothed out greatly.

Brewed on Sunday - just took a reading on gravity and down to 1.014 and counting ... Still another point or so to drop hopefully

Did you use the honey? What were your mash temps? ferm temps?
This thing really tends to dry out something fierce, Ive seen many of the other users drop down in the single digit range. Me personally, I'v had it ferment out to 0.999 and 1.003 I believe

Just brewed this last night on EBIAB rig! Substituted the sorachi ace for Willamette and the fuggles for styrian goldings. Add some lemon zest and some sweet orange peel. Cant wait to try it!

Did you use the honey? What were your mash temps? ferm temps?
This thing really tends to dry out something fierce, Ive seen many of the other users drop down in the single digit range. Me personally, I'v had it ferment out to 0.999 and 1.003 I believe

I used a pound of honey and mashed around 152 - fermentation around 74

azscoob said:
you use the yeast I have in the recipe?

If yes, expect it to ferment to 1.002 or 1.003, the yeast is a beast!

carbonate to 3.0 volumes or so to balance the dryness.

Thanks Azscoob - I did use the yeast from your recipe. It's been since last Sunday so definitely need to give it some time. Took gravity today and down to 1.01 and counting. Hydro sample tastes real good! You definitely have a great recipe here!

Thanks Azscoob - I did use the yeast from your recipe. It's been since last Sunday so definitely need to give it some time. Took gravity today and down to 1.01 and counting. Hydro sample tastes real good! You definitely have a great recipe here!

Thanks! Just wait till it drops to single digits...

Bottle or keg to three volumes,

Nice and dry, crisp carbonation, hints of pepper and citrus...

Making my mouth water!

Been waiting to kick a keg so I could replace it with a keg of this. Last night was the night...

Wow is all I can say. For it only being the keg for a little over a week and at temp for only a few hrs it is awesome. I did a small tweak in that I added a 1/2lb of light belgian candy to my boil. The A.A. on my hops were a bit higher than your specifications so I wanted to make sure it all stayed in somewhat of a balance. The pepper/yeast back, even though very light in tasting, covers almost all of the raw alcohol taste at the moment. Mine rang in at 9.9%!

I have to say kudos for the recipe. This will probably earn a permanent spot in my rotation and I have only brewed duplicates of 2 beers in my 6yrs of home brewing! My hat is off to you good sir!

I cant wait to get home tonight to pour another glass.

azscoob said:
Thanks! Just wait till it drops to single digits...

Bottle or keg to three volumes,

Nice and dry, crisp carbonation, hints of pepper and citrus...

Making my mouth water!

Does anyone have guidance on amount of dextrose to add to achieve 3 volumes if bottling?

Been waiting to kick a keg so I could replace it with a keg of this. Last night was the night...

Wow is all I can say. For it only being the keg for a little over a week and at temp for only a few hrs it is awesome. I did a small tweak in that I added a 1/2lb of light belgian candy to my boil. The A.A. on my hops were a bit higher than your specifications so I wanted to make sure it all stayed in somewhat of a balance. The pepper/yeast back, even though very light in tasting, covers almost all of the raw alcohol taste at the moment. Mine rang in at 9.9%!

I have to say kudos for the recipe. This will probably earn a permanent spot in my rotation and I have only brewed duplicates of 2 beers in my 6yrs of home brewing! My hat is off to you good sir!

I cant wait to get home tonight to pour another glass.

I like that light pepper taste, not too bold but balanced nicely overall against everything else

azscoob said:
I like that light pepper taste, not too bold but balanced nicely overall against everything else

Just bottled tonight - can't wait to taste a fully carb'd version. Drank a whole glass of this while bottling!

Hi guys

This brew turned out excellently! My 2nd AG. Photo Attached!

It finished at 1.002 and clocked in around 7.7%. Used almost a full cup of white sugar into just under 5gallons, got a great carbonation although the wife says its a little too fizzy for her. No Bottle bombs!

I was worried about the taste at bottling time but even after just 1 week in the bottle the taste was great! I have learned to never judge a beer until its been in the bottle a week or more!

I love the little bit of pepper that comes up slowly, next time I might town down the honey just a tiny bit. I will be repeating! thanks!

Stephen's Saison_s.jpg

Hi guys

This brew turned out excellently! My 2nd AG. Photo Attached!

It finished at 1.002 and clocked in around 7.7%. Used almost a full cup of white sugar into just under 5gallons, got a great carbonation although the wife says its a little too fizzy for her. No Bottle bombs!

I was worried about the taste at bottling time but even after just 1 week in the bottle the taste was great! I have learned to never judge a beer until its been in the bottle a week or more!

I love the little bit of pepper that comes up slowly, next time I might town down the honey just a tiny bit. I will be repeating! thanks!
Brings a tear to my eye.... I'm proud of ya!

Brewed this on Saturday.. 10 gallon batch... Pitched the 3711 from a starter and this thing was chugging away within hours.
Used a blowoff tube and I am glad that I did.
Tube was full of krausen on Sunday and it must have gotten clogged yesterday because when I cam home from work, the bung had blown its' top.
Cleaned, sanitized and put the airlock back on and within seconds, bubbles were chugging away again...
Wow.. first time using this yeast and it IS A BEAST!!!!

Brewed this on Saturday.. 10 gallon batch... Pitched the 3711 from a starter and this thing was chugging away within hours.
Used a blowoff tube and I am glad that I did.
Tube was full of krausen on Sunday and it must have gotten clogged yesterday because when I cam home from work, the bung had blown its' top.
Cleaned, sanitized and put the airlock back on and within seconds, bubbles were chugging away again...
Wow.. first time using this yeast and it IS A BEAST!!!!

Just wait till it finishes fermenting, when you take the gravity reading and stare at a reading of 1.002 or so and think, WTF! That's crazy low!

I just kegged mine yesterday and it finished at 1.001. The hydro sample tasted great. Can't wait to try it in a couple weeks.

It has been a strong week of fermenting and I still see bubbles flowing upward and airlock activity. Started at 1.062. Wonder where it is at after 7 days. Ambient temp at around 66-68.

It has been a strong week of fermenting and I still see bubbles flowing upward and airlock activity. Started at 1.062. Wonder where it is at after 7 days. Ambient temp at around 66-68.

Take a gravity sample/taste test and see where it's at!

I see you are from fond du lac, we have a cabin in eagle river!
We drive up from the Chicago burbs and pass the exit to there on our way up.

Take a gravity sample/taste test and see where it's at!

I see you are from fond du lac, we have a cabin in eagle river!
We drive up from the Chicago burbs and pass the exit to there on our way up.

I love Eagle River... Next time you come through, you are welcome to look me up and stop by and try a brew or two... Consider it payment for the recipe! :mug:

I still have what I think is a lot of CO2 coming out of suspension because I took a hydrometer reading and you were right... 1.002/1.003 Holy Carp...

3711 REALLY IS A BEAST...

Of course had to taste the sample. I like it. Cant wait to let the yeast clean up, keg it and carb it up. Wasn't getting a whole lot of pepper yet but we will see how things finish up and how it tastes when "Ready"

Take a gravity reading and see where it's at, I have often had this beer ferment out really fast, but bubble seemingly forever because of absorbed co2 from the fermentation process, the only sure way to know its done is to check the gravity with your hydrometer over a few days, when it's dead stable, it's done

Cracked open a bottle after two weeks. The rosemary was a bit overwhelming. Waited a week and tried another one. The rosemary had mellowed quite a bit in just a week. The rocky head on this one is awesome!

Just had a nice surprise. I thought the batch I had brewed was kicked at my wedding, but there was about a growler left at the bottom of the keg. Despite leaving it out to whatever temps have happened since then, it still tastes great. I'll probably try the same recipe next warm season but with one of the high temp saison yeasts just to see how it's different. Or crank up my fish tank heater if I can't wait that long.

Ok, so I have done this recipe once. Split the 10g batch using 3711 and 670, both white labs. Both where great. Used pacific jade for my bittering. Great spice notes. Both finished around 1.000 to 1.004. Quickest kegs I've ever floated.

I want to make a winter version and just switch the wheat to the midnight wheat to darken up the color. Plan on brewing it on black friday.

Thoughts?

Ok, so I have done this recipe once. Split the 10g batch using 3711 and 670, both white labs. Both where great. Used pacific jade for my bittering. Great spice notes. Both finished around 1.000 to 1.004. Quickest kegs I've ever floated.

I want to make a winter version and just switch the wheat to the midnight wheat to darken up the color. Plan on brewing it on black friday.

Thoughts?

I think you should post a pic of the brew with the midnight wheat!

And nice first post!

No question is a dumb question if you don't know the answer... First Wort Hop.. put them in while sparging, I say this not knowing your setup of course.

No question is a dumb question if you don't know the answer... First Wort Hop.. put them in while sparging, I say this not knowing your setup of course.

I was planning on doing a partial mash of this beer. What exactly do you mean though by putting them in while sparging? Do you mind elaborating a bit?

edit: I use a maxi biab partial mash method and dunk-sparge.

I'm not going to side track a great thread beyond this reply, fwh is a technique or rather timing for hop intro, I.e. when your sparging into the boil kettle, for bittering. Hope that makes sense, if not clear search FWH I'm certain its covered ad nauseum on this site.. happy brewing.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is FWH on the hop additions?

First wort hopping is a method to get what many believe is a smoother bittering, the hops are put into the boil kettle as you are doing your sparging, instead of once it begins to boil.

The thought is some flavor characteristics are locked in at lower heat, and as the wort boils it locks in the bittering as well, seems to reduce the sharpness of a normal bittering addition, and smoothe the transition to the flavor additions as well.

I figured it was a good method in this beer, to smoothe things out, besides most saisons don't have a harsh bitterness to them but rather a balanced level of spice, bitterness, and aromas.

I hope that cleared things up for you!

First wort hopping is a method to get what many believe is a smoother bittering, the hops are put into the boil kettle as you are doing your sparging, instead of once it begins to boil.

The thought is some flavor characteristics are locked in at lower heat, and as the wort boils it locks in the bittering as well, seems to reduce the sharpness of a normal bittering addition, and smoothe the transition to the flavor additions as well.

I figured it was a good method in this beer, to smoothe things out, besides most saisons don't have a harsh bitterness to them but rather a balanced level of spice, bitterness, and aromas.

I hope that cleared things up for you!

Thanks for the info. I ended up looking it up in Palmer's book, which I should have just done in the first place. Sorry, I wasn't trying to highjack your thread.... It looks like great recipe and I am looking forward to brewing it tonight. The black pepper is intriguing. Do you get much flavor from the amount listed in the opening post?

Thanks for the info. I ended up looking it up in Palmer's book, which I should have just done in the first place. Sorry, I wasn't trying to highjack your thread.... It looks like great recipe and I am looking forward to brewing it tonight. The black pepper is intriguing. Do you get much flavor from the amount listed in the opening post?

The black pepper simply accentuates the pepper flavors developed by the yeast during fermentation

I didn't want to mask it, or overpower it, but just boost the flavor already there.

Give it a try and see how you like it as is, then brew a tweaked version if you would like a little more of this, or less of that.... I'm here to help!

Just took a hydro reading after going for 2 weeks. 1.000 !!!!

Sample tastes great but not getting peppery notes.

Can't believe it went down so far. Lettin it clean up for a week or two then time to keg and carb up.

I brewed this recipe yesterday, and even went out and got a bottle of Saison Dupont to enjoy during the process. For my second all-grain batch, I was pretty happy. Hit my OG dead on, but I had a little trouble with post-boil volume because I guess I didn't have a hard-enough rolling boil going throughout the boil. I ended up having to go a little longer to get it down to ~5.5G. Do you all think that will have a huge effect on the hops? I added time at the end before I added the honey and pepper, and ended up going about 20min longer.

Back