Lager starters, how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootHootHoot

Reaction score
Making my first lager. How big should a starter be for a 5 gal batch? A lot of people seem to make starters at 1L, but calculations would say I need approx 3.2 liters so basically almost a gallon. Need to know so I can either buy a flask or 1gal carboy.

I assume I would decant the wort off if I were a gallon. That being the case, how long before I brew should I get the starter going, four days good?

Thanks!

Well you answered most of your own questions... Although a week would be better. Some lager strains can take 2 days to start fermenting the starter, then you're going to want a full day to crash the starter. I like to do a week.

Read the info on mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com. How big a starter depends on many things. Some are; age of the yeast, gravity of the beer, how you are fermenting your starter.

Yeastcalc.com gives good information on making a step starter so that each step is smaller. If you made a lager starter in one batch it would be very big.

Here is a great post on how to calculate proper pitch rates.

I typically make my starters 2-3days before so i can cold crash it the night before brewing.
then remove it from the fridge the day of brewing and allow it to warm up to pitching temp.
decant then pitch.

Back