WTF happened? Bottling day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benward452

Reaction score
So, this is my second brew.

Here are the details:

Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel - (http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1044_Belgian_Tripel.pdf)

Below are pictures of what my fermenter looks like on bottling day.

I recorded my FG and it is within where it should be. I just don't know if it is safe to drink/bottle. I know the color is very off because I messed up the order of the hops.

What the heck happened?

Is it still able to be drank and bottled? What did I do wrong? I am so confused.

Thanks for any help to this newbie.

Beer.jpg

LOL! Looks messy for sure.

It's a beautiful mix of krausen and hops you got there.

How long has it been in primary? You'll probably want to rack it a bit before bottling if you don't want that in your bottles. :)

Yep, it's fine. Color isn't from hop additions though. You get it from the LME and DME. It will clear with bottling age after it gets cold.

When I crack open my fermenter, doves come flying out & the scent of a cool summer breeze permeates the air. I swear I've even heard Beethoven's 5th bubbling out of the mixture. That's me though. As for most people, what you see before you is what beer looks like before it's racked into bottles. You did fine. Bottle it up & wait.

might want to look into a hop bag.. but it looks like you are GTG.

Order of hop additions has absolutely zero to do with the appearance of your beer.

This beer is ugly, has weird crap on the sides of the bucket and floating in the top... in other words, a completely normal fermentation.

Dude, relax. You made beer!

Also, an edit for the record:

Beer is safe to bottle and drink. The worst you can get is beer that tastes bad. It CANNOT hurt you. NOTHING harmful to humans grows in beer. Alcohol and hops take care of that for you.

You've probably already bottled it by now, but what basically happened is you probably washed some of the dried Krausen (on the sides of your bucket) into the beer when you moved the bucket from your basement to the kitchen. I always let my fermenter rest for half hout to an hour or so on bottling day to let the disturbed sediment/ect settle to the bottom before I rack it.

Hey all,

I just want to thank you for the kind words and sentiments... I just thought this beer looked a bit whack. Considering it was only my second brew, I figured I may have a bit of a monster on hand, but now I will expect "ugly" beer before bottling.

Thanks for all the helpful advice as well, I will look into some of the suggestions you all have. Hop bag, secondaries, cold crashes. Also, homebrew dad, thanks for letting me know I am not going to kill myself making my next batch!

I am excited to try this one.

Ben
:mug:

the75 said:
When I crack open my fermenter, doves come flying out & the scent of a cool summer breeze permeates the air. I swear I've even heard Beethoven's 5th bubbling out of the mixture. That's me though. As for most people, what you see before you is what beer looks like before it's racked into bottles. You did fine. Bottle it up & wait.

Wow. I needed a laugh.

And yes your beer is fine. Enjoy.

Made me think of this. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like burr to me! And note; I only produce ugly fat beer, because those are the ones that go crazy ;)
You should have seen my batch before I bottle it! It looked like someone had a thick diarrhea, that was black, green and and used motor oil, the REALLY used oil where it starts to turn to a goo instead of liquid. Lol
Needless to say, I tasted it, tasted the trub, even tasted the gunk on the sides. It tasted delicious. The goo was a bit, bitter but It was still good ;)

Back