Adding licorice to a stout or other brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zappadragon

Reaction score
So in talking to my friend at work and telling him about my new Coopers home brew kit he was saying that I should add licorice to a batch of beer to make it taste like jagermeister. He knows I am a fan of jagermeister and it got me to thinking that it was a good idea. Has anyone else tried this? What was your recipe and how did it taste?

I usually think of anise or liquorice as a root beer flavor rather than a beer beer flavor. I'm a fan of liquorice and wintergreen flavors, so I'm kinda a root beer nut.

Try some crushed fennel seed in the last few minutes of the boil maybe?

But, I don't think Coopers kits do boils so....

I bet anise (star anise?) or ... what's that other spice...I have some in my spice cabinet. It's a seed of some sort but not the above one. Either way, I bet a hint of that would be nice in a stout! It'd probably mortal and pestel it up just a bit to crack it and throw it in dry-hop style, maybe with a tad in at 20 mins remaining on boil actually.

Could be good!

I have a 20 oz test batch of porter that I tossed in a piece of licorice candy into, it smell great but I have yet to taste it!

Back