styles other than lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwelam

Reaction score
So the girlfriend likes Lindemans Peche. My brewing skills are not quite refined enough to brew a lambic at this point. I have about 6 brews under my belt, all ale styles. Didn't know if there was a suggestion out for another style of beer which might be substantially easier to brew, but yield a similar taste to the peche lambic.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe a peach wheat beer?

Lambics are really hard to create and lindenmans uses a lot of techniques not available to home brewers.

I'd just brew a basic american wheat beer, go light on the hops. Like less than 15 IBUs and use peach extract to taste because fresh peaches are super fermentable and don't impart much flavor.

Thanks electric_beer
From what I understand after some prelim research, apricots also impart a peachy flavor, but without the fermentables. any advice for that direction?

extract/partial mash.
that was one reason why i wanted to steer clear of the lambic brew itself. I have found a few recipies for the lambics, but not satisfied with any as far as the extract versions.

do a berliner weisse. it's fairly straight forward and will produce a nice light tart beer that you might really enjoy. if you have the Joy of Homebrewing i will recommend looking into doing a sour mash - see appendix 6 (i think) about sour mashes. this will get you the lactobacillus you need and then just ferment as normal with a neutral ale yeast. the turn around will be nothing near a lambic which can be upwards of maybe 3 years. expect a normal ale turnaround of ~ 1 month. if you don't want to do a sour mash then simply buy a lacto culture for $9 from WL or wyeast. lactic acid in any other beer, perhaps a fruit beer, will give you a slight acidity that the lambics are known for.

...btw lindemans is far from a classic lambic... it's pastuerized then backsweetened so don't expect similar flavors if you buy a real lambic.

After doing some more research, I understand that some of the sweeter lambics use a brown ale as a base and then add the fruit to that. anybody else heard of that before?

Back