How much primer - 16oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscraig

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding my primer directly to my beer before bottling, and I'm wondering how much to use. Does it matter that I'm bottling into 16oz bottles? Will it affect the amount of carbonation?

Also, does using 16oz bottles instead 12oz bottles extend the time needed to carbonate?

Bottle size doesn't matter if you add your priming sugar to your bottling bucket- it'll be right whether you're using 12oz or 2 litre bottles.

However, to an extent, the size of the bottle will change the time needed to carbonate properly in the bottle. A larger bottle means more total CO2 and beer, but roughly the same headspace in the bottle, so it will need more time to absorb back into the beer properly, but if you're waiting 21+ days before cracking them open (nobody ever opens one early....right?) I doubt there will be a noticeable difference.

Back