How long can hops sit out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODP

Reaction score
I bought the ingredients for 2 batches from AHS on the week of the 6th of this month. A Shiner Bock Clone and a UFO Harpoon Hefe clone. I was going to brew the hefe first, but AHS forgot my extract so the Shiner clone was brewed first (on the 12th)

With work and a vacation, I have yet to brew the hefe and was wondering how soon I need to do that before my ingredients get "stale". Does this happen if they are not refrigerated? They are still in the bag, in the box, at room temp.

What do you guys/girls think?

On a side note, AHS was quite prompt about sending out my extract they forgot. I called them up, spoke with Lockwyn and I had it in a day or two. Doesn't hurt that I'm less than 50 miles away! All in all, they did a great job making things right and I'll continue to buy from them in the future. :tank:

Generally, it's best to store hops in airtight bags in the freezer, but a few weeks at room temperature is no problem-- they're fine. If you're not going to brew for a while, then you should put them in the freezer. Also, malt extract is best stored in the refrigerator.

-Steve

Hmmmm....I hadn't thought about the extract either. The unused yeast is in the fridge until it's time to let it get to room temp though.

Thanks for the quick response!

Generally, it's best to store hops in airtight bags in the freezer, but a few weeks at room temperature is no problem-- they're fine. If you're not going to brew for a while, then you should put them in the freezer.

Is this true of the nitrogen-flush sealed bags of hops? I have several, unopened, sitting in my fridge. Some have been in there for months. Will they still be OK?

My understanding of hops, is, like any flowering plant, they will become oxygenated with time. This can be reduced by limiting the oxygen that comes in contacts with the hops, and also storing in a cool, or freezing, environment.

If you think of it like lettuce, or even a flower you buy at the store, how quickly will that thing go bad if left out in the open and unrefrigerated. To be fair, hops do have some more natural preservatives that other flowers/plants don't have, but there is no reason not to take the necessary steps to limit oxydation.

I had the same question not too long ago. I rolled up my hops in several layers of aluminum foil and wrapped the ends tight before placing them in the freezer. No possibility of oxidation from the freezer that way.

I also wrapped up my liquid malt extract in aluminum foil and stuck it in the fridge to protect against oxidation AND from the possibility of picking up odors/flavors from the food in the fridge.

Aluminum foil is your friend when talking cold storage of anything.

Pez.

Nitrogen flushed bags are just fine-- I have a bunch like that in my freezer right now.

DRoyLenz is right-- the main concern is to remove as much oxygen as possible that can come in contact with the hops, so either a vacuum sealed bag or nitrogen flushed bag are best. They're not requirements, but storing your hops this way in the freezer will help keep them fresh.

-Steve

Sort of realted, How long does everyone keep them out of the freezer before throwing in the pot? I generally light my HLT, then pull the hops and yeast out to start warming.

Sort of realted, How long does everyone keep them out of the freezer before throwing in the pot? I generally light my HLT, then pull the hops and yeast out to start warming.

I chuck them straight out of the freezer. It's not like their frozen.:D

how long can they be kept in the fridge?

Depends on how cold your refrigerator is!

Seriously, I'm sure hops are fine in the refrigerator, but the better choice is the freezer. I think hop warehouses store them well below freezing, and certainly much colder than my freezer can get.

The main point is that warmer temperatures can accelerate hop staling and can affect their bitterness-- though I believe that this is debatable.

-Steve

So I'm planning on getting a few clone kits from AHS that will be brewed in the next 4-6 weeks- will they be alright in the fridge/freezer when it comes time to brew or should I just wait and order when it's closer to brew day?

So I'm planning on getting a few clone kits from AHS that will be brewed in the next 4-6 weeks- will they be alright in the fridge/freezer when it comes time to brew or should I just wait and order when it's closer to brew day?

I don't think it will matter. If you put everything in the refrigerator/freezer when you get it, then it really won't matter when you order it.

-Steve

AHS ships their hops in oxygen-barrier bags, and they vacuum seal the bags (they do not replace the oxygen with nitrogen). As long as you keep them in this packaging until brew day, refrigeration will be more than enough precaution to keep them fresh.

Just remember, People here buy Hops in bulk. Some make one giant Hop purchase at harvest time and use them through next years Harvest. Keeping them in sealed bags. And the hops you're ordering are stored as well before you buy them just like you are storing them. Hops don't harvest year round.

Just remember, People here buy Hops in bulk. Some make one giant Hop purchase at harvest time and use them through next years Harvest. Keeping them in sealed bags. And the hops you're ordering are stored as well before you buy them just like you are storing them. Hops don't harvest year round.

This is a really good point. I'll be doing this myself. As I buy hops for my batches, I'll buy more than is needed. It'll allow me to experiment a little with small 2 gallon batches. I'll probably just be using Zip-Loc bags, sucking the air out as much as possible, then freezing.

This is a really good point. I'll be doing this myself. As I buy hops for my batches, I'll buy more than is needed. It'll allow me to experiment a little with small 2 gallon batches. I'll probably just be using Zip-Loc bags, sucking the air out as much as possible, then freezing.

Zip lock has a vacuum kit. It works pretty well. my wife uses it to seperate large packages of chicken for Meal Sized Portions. Just take one package out for a meal with 2 breasts in it. Much cheaper than a foodsaver. Not going to be as good, but it still works better then trying to just Push the air out then closing it.

Okay! I'm now brewing a batch of ingredients that have been in the fridge for awile...looking at the yeast, I now realize there is a "Date" on it....mine is TWO months past...is this yeast still alive? Hopefully someone can answer quickly as I've already started my water boiling...help this ******* out!

Later Edit, it is liquid yeast...if that makes a difference...English Ale White Labs to be exact!

making a starter is super easy to do:
boil 2 cups of water, then add half-cup of DME. cool to 80F, and transfer to a sanitized jar. pitch yeast and you're good to go in a couple days.

You're probably ok without a started. I pitched a 1-year old yeast on my last batch and it was fine.

Sounds good...I don't have the stuff to make a starter now...hopefully it will be ok.

BTW- what's DME? I know, I know....noob question...:drunk:

I have a question about storing hops.
I just bought the ingredients to make a pale ale and will have extra hops and DME. Based on what I have read on HBT, storing the hops in an air tight bag (ziploc) in the freezer is best to preserve my left over hops. Is there a limit on how long they will last?
Also, what is the best way to store the extra DME?

Back