BIG CIDER advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keepthedrive

Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wanting to make a pretty big cider. 15% if I can. I was gonna go with a 1:2 ratio of something like gala to granny. I want it dry, but do want some sweetness, so I was thinking of just using some crystal 10, maybe a lb or 2 for a 5 gal batch, and letting the yeast go till it can't go lower. this then isnt really a pure cider, but thats fine with me. Anyone have experience or advice for making a cider this big? I was gonna use the lalvin ec 1118, but now that I read that first thread at the top with the guy and his basement full of cider, Im thinking I should just go with nottingham, and give it some extra yeast nutrient.

So I know that the sg will have to be somewhere round 1.115, and finish out 1.000, thatll give me around 15%. So if I use fresh juiced apples that I buy and juice, natural cider has a sg of what? Cause then I'll have to add sugar to get it up there, or flaked rice...hmmm?

Any advice is greatly appreciated...
cheers

I was intrigued by a barley wine that I had sampled at my brothers house, it was 15-17%. I love beer, but prefer high alcohol because you need less beers to hit the spot. But I also am quite fond of fruity beers, and stretching the boundaries of possibilities. New ideas are constantly jumping in and out of my idea, and I came across the impulse to brew using some apple flavor, and then came across the CIDER and have been very curious as to whether it is possible to create a cider, which I love the flavor of a good dry cider, that has the gravity of a barley wine but not the heavy body and mouth feel. Something drinkable, but delicious and will hit the comfort zone before 3 trips to the bathroom. When God gives you apples...make cider.

Just so you know, a 15% dry cider would better be named an apple wine. Consequently, it would most certainly taste like a dry white wine, and if aged long enough it would get a bit more apple flavor back. It wouldn't be too appley or fruity.

But if you want to do it, I would suggest using purely apple products if you can. You could use malt or sugar or honey, but you could also use apple concentrate. You could also freeze concentrate your own juice to raise its OG to the range you need, but you would need a hell of a lot of juice to concentate down to 5 gallons of 1.115

Back