The Apfelwein from hell....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I knew the title would get you, now the issue:

Yesterday my yeast and dextrose arrived, so I thought I'd throw the Apfelwein together. The apple juice had been sitting in the basement for a day or so and had a tempeture of 62 degrees.

in order to get the yeast acclimated to the lower tempeture I rehydrated it in 62 degreee apple juice.

12 hours later and there is not even a hint of fermentation, just a yeast cloud on the bottom of the carboy.

So, is everything alright or do i need to raise the temp?

BTW I raised the basement temp to 65 this morning.

These things can take a while to start. Check back in like 3 days. You say you have it in a carboy so it should be simple to dont touch and wait

Mine took 24 hours.

Update: It's now at day 12 and still actively fermenting. :rockin:

(Seek medical attention for Active fermentations lasting longer than a week!) :D

Update:

Smelled a slight stink in the basement, opened the bathroom to investigate and there it was....

My Apfelwein was bubblin away like a warm bottle of freshly opened cream soda!

Thanx for tellin me to relax. :mug:

Hey, Hi ED!!

You're a star!

Thanks for the awesome recipe, I used a cuvee yeast, the yeast you suggested was sold out.

I'll post on your original thread how it turns out.

:drunk:

Hey, Hi ED!!

You're a star!

Thanks for the awesome recipe, I used a cuvee yeast, the yeast you suggested was sold out.

I'll post on your original thread how it turns out.

:drunk:

i used the same yeast. 5 days i went from 1.067 to .998 as of this morning when i left for work..... i think cuvee may make it a bit too dry.... ohh well, im in the 2 gallon batch like 7 bucks and 20 minutes of my time.

quick ?, does the super dryness calm with age?? say a year? lol

I actually went with WL Cider yeast for mine. My LHBS said I might get a slightly more fruity result. (He didn't have Montrachet either. So it was the Cider or Champagne.) Mine has been bubbling twice a second since the 24th. No signs at all of slowing. I have actually put a space heater on it to raise the temp to 72 over the past 2 days now.

Lol exactly what edworts said hes the pro at this since its his recipe. Mine was the same way took mine like 4 days then it just took off and its still kinda going bout week and a half later but really started to slow down, also what yeast did you use. I could only use nottingham since my LHBS was sold out of the wine yeast.

Lol Ed im hoping mine clears up before turkey day I want to get my parents and my SWMBO parents riped off some damn good apfelwine :cheers:

For some reason I haven't had an apfelwein get under 1.000. On the other hand, I haven't had any alcohol taste and it tastes to me like it has already been aged so I'm not complaining. My first batch used table sugar instead of dextrose and my second batch had dextrose and some juice concentrate. Otherwise I follow the recipe.

Okay, I wanted to mention this again. I mixed up the apfelwein on the 24th. My cider yeast started bubbling within hours. Now it is the 13th so 20 days of fermenting. It is STILL going strong. When I say strong I don't mean lots of gas coming off but certainly lots of bubbling going on through the cider. 20 days? Really? Is any yeast that slow. Is this because it should have had some yeast nutrients?

I did a hydro reading on it is exactly 1.000. I drank the sample. Excellent! I am excited about this stuff. I went out and bought all of the stuff for the blueberry cider yesterday. Now I am wondering whether I should pitch my champagne yeast instaed of this very slow but delicious cider yeast. Opinions?

that is too cold to make a starter.! there is not good resone to make a starter that cold but there are alot of resones to do it much warmer ... all the direction on the packs will say to start it much warmer.. you are jump starting the metablizem of the yeast.

it just like seed (yes i know yeast is a fungus not a plant but both are exothermic)
you would not start seed in cold temps just becase the grown plant can handle it. the yeast is dry and in a hibernation state wamering them up wakes them up..

the other really good reson not to do this is that bactera are much more vigorous at 62 than yeast is,, they can eat and divide much faster than the yeast. even on all my lagers i start it at 70-72 and then after its going i cool it down.

Contamation is not that big a problem for most of us. but it is still a race between that white hats and the black hats,,, every batch of beer has some amount of contamanation
but yeast makes antibotics. the cleaner everything is and the faster the yeast start, and the bigger the starter will control that factor and the end result is how long your brew will last.

i like to make alot of odd ball wild wines and what not
and a fast start really help your wines last longer in the bottle or keg.
its pretty cool to put out a 3or4 year old bottle of wine to share and it taste great not sour.

word up Red enjoy the apple wine. its good stuff.

the apfel takes to 30 days to ferment out and drop clear. wines do not ferment as quickly as beer and require a more patient outlook on the process. i started a melomel(fruit mead) in jan and didn't get it in the bottle until halloween.

I've had this at 62-64 degree range for the past 10 days, and its going strong. I'm sure that if I moved it to a warmer room it would go a bit faster. Now the question:

Would I get a better result if I brought it up say 70 degrees? It would ferm faster but would the result taste any better?

Thanx in advance

Clayton, based on your advice Ill move it to the boiler room today!

I just brewed up a 5 gallon batch a couple weeks ago.. it took about 2-3 days to even get started.. but then it was bubbling pretty constant for about a week. My apartment is about 60 degrees.

the apfel takes to 30 days to ferment out and drop clear. wines do not ferment as quickly as beer and require a more patient outlook on the process. i started a melomel(fruit mead) in jan and didn't get it in the bottle until halloween.

You know, based on how everything has been happening with it I had no reason at all to suspect something was wrong but . . . I have never done a wine before so I was suspicious of how long it was taking. My concern now is that I won't be able to serve this at X'mas and New Years.

Oh well, as Revvy says "this is the only year I will have to worry about this."

I've had this at 62-64 degree range for the past 10 days, and its going strong. I'm sure that if I moved it to a warmer room it would go a bit faster. Now the question:

Would I get a better result if I brought it up say 70 degrees? It would ferm faster but would the result taste any better?

Thanx in advance

Clayton, based on your advice Ill move it to the boiler room today!

well. i may have been vague.. you really want to ferment everything on the cool side , i ferment all my brew as cold as i can easly keep them, where the yeast type will still be vigorous , the warmer the temps the more off flavors yeast make, this is some times wanted in a few styles however, so you want to start it warm, then after its going cool it down to the desired fermentation temp.

i found this snipit on the web i will add it.

In terms of temperature the wine industry roughly defines fermentation temperature in these ranges:

Cold 48-55°F
Cool 55-70°F
Warm 70-85°F
Hot 85-90°F

By way of analogy let’s talk about a process that we all know well, namely making chocolate milk or hot cocoa. When making chocolate milk we’ve all noticed that the stirring process of turning milk into chocolate milk takes much longer when the milk is cold. If the milk is too cold we may never get a tasty beverage as the chocolate never completely mixes in. The common is solution is to warm the liquid just enough to get the desired result, i.e. a well-blended cold chocolate milk. On the hot chocolate side the challenge is managing heating of the milk because if it gets too hot the milk boils over and burns producing a nasty mess. So, to produce our particular yummy drink we must closely monitor the temperature to achieve the desired results. The process is similar in wine making.

In the making of white wines we want the temperature to be warm enough to allow the fermentation occur but not so warm that it happens too fast where the flavors never have a chance to develop. So, with wines like Pinot Gris we will cold ferment in stainless steel slowly for months as our goal is to preserve the fruit forward aromas and keep a light mouth feel with crispness. Chardonnay on the other hand is done at cool temperatures for up to a month so that we can extract more color, texture and complexity from the lees. (lees: A heavy sediment consisting of dead yeast cells and other solid matter such as grape pulp, pips and so on.) Chardonnay is often oak barrel fermented to add complexity and develop flavors like coconut, butterscotch etc. which are extracted from the barrel.

As we move on to the production of red wines the fermentation temperature rises as the process itself occurs in the midst of skins. With red wines we’re aiming to have more extraction of color, flavors and tannins from the must (must: mixture of fermenting grape juice, pips, skins, stalks and so on) so we’ll generally ferment in the 75-85 degree range. Sometimes we go a bit cooler when making wines with lighter color and fruitier character like Pinot Noir. With Meritage varietals (Cabernet, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Malbec) or Big Italian Reds (Nebbiolo, Barbara) temperatures will range from warm to hot and fermentation times can be as short as 10-14 days. In these big earthy wines we’re looking for deep color and mature tannins to balance the fruit and create a more refined wine. These wines are almost always open tank fermented before being pressed and put into barrels.

There is another range of heat (extreme that goes above 90 degrees) and though it may be quicker (as little as two days) you risk the chance of a dead or stuck fermentation if things get too hot and kill the yeast. Even if you don’t kill the yeast you’ve assuredly add a madeirized character that’s better off in some grocery store cooking wine (salt added) than anything you’d want to drink in a glass.

So there you have it. To get fantastic wines control the temperature of your fermentation and take your time. Sit back, relax and enjoy a glass of wine and let the happy yeast proceed at an unhurried pace to produce tasty vino.

Back