Re-using the trub (yeast cake)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I have already read the yeast washing thread...

I will be brewing a Porter within a few days - so here is my question: I made a AHS Holiday Ale about a month or so back, then pitched a Williams Holiday Ale right on the yeast cake from the AHS as it what White Labs and worked real good. There was a bit of a delay (26 hours or so), but fermentation started fine and actually fermented longer and more solidly than the first batch(?) Today I racked the second Holiday Ale and have a Porter in the works a few days from now. I could not bring myself to pour that good yeast cake down the drain, so I quickly sanitized a mason jar in StarSan for about 10 minutes and poured the trub right into that - then sealed with aluminum foil and placed in the beer fridge. My thoughts are to use it on the Porter in a few days.

Anything stand out wrong with this for the experts?

Yes, I am a noob to re-using yeast - just need to know if this direction will work fine or if I need to grab another pack of yeast.

Did you put a bunch of spices or anything in the Holiday Ale? Just thinking you might get some spice flavor you don't really want, but Porters are pretty robust beers and that might cover it up or perhaps you will even like...

Back