Brewing Demonstration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Home Brew Competition at our County Fair is pretty lazy and laid back. You serve your beer to anyone over 21 that wants to show up...and they vote on which one they like best.
So anyway...I'm thinking I really want to build a rig, and I'm thinking of doing one that is portable so I could actually brew at the fair next year. Wouldn't it be freeking cool to do 2 or 3 or 12 brew demonstrations during a year? You could really get people into it, and I was the only AG brewer this year at the competition, so everyone could benefit from seeing a batch get made.

Thoughts?

We have brewing demonstrations at local beer events here. Usually, the results are disposed of.

It isn't so much the need to brew a drinkable beer for demonstration purposes, as to show the basic process. Transporting the wort can be a bit of a pain and sanitation issues are a bit more touchy out in a pasture with wild yeasties flying around.

Most demonstrators are willing to discard the few dollars worth of grains they've used up and will usually just use a fraction of old hops for demonstration purposes.

Most demonstrators are willing to discard the few dollars worth of grains they've used

IF i go to all the trouble of mashing and boiling and cooling....I'm gonna throw that there bucket in the back of the pickup and take it home. Even if I have to pour it out to the cows 6 weeks later....It's going to ferment!

Jesus...what if you're pouring out the best beer you ever made....Who knows...maybe some Horse poo and a little blow dirt are the magic ingredients?

I think it sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see brewing at the fair (we don't have a beer fest :( ) and I have to agree throwing it out is silly. You've brewed it why toss it?

Jesus...what if you're pouring out the best beer you ever made....Who knows...maybe some Horse poo and a little blow dirt are the magic ingredients?

They are -- just ask the Belgians. :)

Kahuna, I'd drive a couple hours east to help out, even. Just don't call me your brew *****. :rockin:

It's a cool idea buddy, if I wasn't across the country I'd help you rig it up.

At natl homebrew day people haul out to the parking lot behind my lhbs all manner of portable rigs...The easiest thing I ever saw for a 3 tier system was just a step ladder with some wood platforms spring clamped on them.

I would love to do something like that as well, give brewing demonstrations, but I'd like to do historical brewing in period attire and using the same gear used in the 1700's and in Medieval times...

I'm sure glad we're friends. Cause you're a little weird and I'd be scared if you were a stranger.:D.

Awww come on, you mean YOU'VE never contemplated the simple pleasure of wearing a codpiece? :D

Seriously though, I'd like to do something like this for our Annual Feast of St Clair festival which celebrates my cities connection to the French/indian War, or do it during our Civil War encampment/pow wow as well...

[youtube]mAU4bhjCB08[/youtube]

There's a couple people on the forum here, who do historical re=enactment brewing...

Brewing at the county fair!?

I need to move to a new county. :(

What the ???? You moved to a new country and now you want to move to a new county? Keep removing letters and you'll be moving to a new....?:D

I don't know about Big K in a period outfit. The only outfits people as big as him usually wear involve a large axe! I think he'd scare some people.

My home brew cllub is doing a demo brew this weekend. At a local country club they are having a craft beer fest. Troegs, stouts and some others will be there.

The HBC is doing a "Nugget Nectar tribute" brew to demo how to homebrew. I say go for it Kahuna.

sorry, just got back from home brew club meeting and a little druck:)

Latest posts

Back