Never look away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffbones

Reaction score
I was brewing my second batch saturday (Bass clone) and about 20 minutes into the boil I got distracted. The boilover wasn't to bad :mad: I didn't lose much wort but the foam did push out alot of the hop pellets powder. I was just wondering how much this will affect the beer and if I should have added more hops after the boilover?

It'll be cool. Happens to everyone.

It's strange that you got a boilover so late in the boil. We have a heck of a time getting it to settle down at the very beginning of the boil, but then it stabilizes. We usually walk away from the boil at that point to do other cleaning and whatnot.

Sorry for your boilover, but don't sweat the hops. So it's a little less hoppy. The cool thing about brewing is that you get another chance next brew day :D

I had to throw out an entire 5 gallon batch of a German Honey Wheat due to a boilover. :mad: Outside stirring the pot...phone rings...ugly sight. I probably could have tried to save it, but I was so mad I just trashed it and started over again. Moral to the story...never, ever, ever leave a boiling pot of wort unattended!

I'm not sure if this will work for you or not, but when I was brewing partial wort beers and the rolling got a little to much I'd just turn down the heat a tad (like from High to 9) and It would keep a low roll and wouldn't boil over.

Luckily my wife fully supports my brewing endeavors and bought me a 10 gal kettle. Boil overs are a thing of the past, except when making yeast starters.

Moral to the story...never, ever, ever leave a boiling pot of wort unattended
!

or answer the phone when brewing.. ;)

i finally was able to scrape off the last reminints of a boil over from a month ago that was near to the burner. no amount of scrubbing helped, and i didn't want to go in with a sharp object and chip the paint up on the range. it gradually wore down with heat and scrubbing...:lol:

Lucky for me I was brewing outside. I need to find a better way to controll the flame on my turkey fryer. I had four or five not really boilovers so much as almost foam overs during the 60 min. boil. I'm boiling 2 1/2 gal. in a 5 1/2 gal. pot. Isn't the hot break when it foams up and don't you get just one of those batch?

WTF?

How dead does a thread have to be to be left in peace around here?

Cheers! ;)

[edit] Nevermind. Children at play, apparently....

Back