Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, I was hoping for something like this:

jail1.jpg

Understand the cash thing! Best of luck on that project. Do you have anything available that is bigger that you could gear-down?

CHefJohnboyardee said:
Understand the cash thing! Best of luck on that project. Do you have anything available that is bigger that you could gear-down?

I have two 120VAC motors. One is a tool motor with mounting base and all. 3250 RPMs? It's what I would use if I was making something serious. I would still have to come up with a head stock with chuck and a tail stock.

would a rubber lined piston ring compressor work? like if you make a wooden circle, quartered it then cut a small piece out of each corner? maybe a larger chunk to fit around the shaft of the motor or am I thinking crazy? :)

Sounds crazy to me. Current plan is 4 (because the placement is easier than 3) pins in that aluminum collar and maybe a second aluminum collar if I can find one. It was originally an airbrake knob on an older vehicle. Of course everything now is yellow plastic.

I'm also giving thought to pulling the magnets and armature off of the tailpiece motor shaft instead of trying to drive both ends.

CHefJohnboyardee said:
do you have chisels?

Depends if you mean $$$ from Klingspor or normal stuff. I do have some light and medium weight carving chisels. I think the light ones are gonna burn up on a lathe. I gotta dig the others out.

I decided to go out and pick up another pipe today. This is what I came home with;
img-20121214-00244-57646.jpg

I'm going to break it in tomorrow with some Holiday Spirit.

Very nice dude!! I've been shopping for an upgrade to my first pipe. I went cheap the first round and bought a $10 drug store hardwood. Way too much lacquer, smokes real nice but it's impossible to light w/o bubbling some of the finish.

I feel better the next day after smoking a pipe compared to a cigar. Plus it is so much cheaper.

Depending on the cigar I'd have to agree. Sometimes I over due it on the cigar part. They go so well with beer. ;)

A pipe doesn't tend to leave your mouth tasting funky like a cigar can but it can will singe your mouth and tongue if you overdue and puff to quickly. Thats my experience. Depends on the pipe and tobacco to I suppose.

Way too much lacquer, smokes real nice but it's impossible to light w/o bubbling some of the finish.

Yeah... That doesn't sound good!

Tonight I'm enjoying a blend of Mclelland's Christmas Cheer and Chocolate Silk.

I'm pairing with a flemish sour, and it goes together nicely.

Cheers friends!
img-20121215-00254-94.jpg

Yeah... That doesn't sound good!

Tonight I'm enjoying a blend of Mclelland's Christmas Cheer and Chocolate Silk.

I'm pairing with a flemish sour, and it goes together nicely.

Cheers friends!
img-20121215-00254-94.jpg
You should try to find some Odell Meddler if you like the flemish sours. I don't know if they distributed in TX or not...

CHefJohnboyardee said:
You should try to find some Odell Meddler if you like the flemish sours. I don't know if they distributed in TX or not...

Odell does not distribute here yet but they are planning on it what I heard.

I agree the pipe did leave less of a taste the next morning but my tongue is burn and have to heal the next few days. It was a beginners mistake and going to ease it on the puffs

Almost. It's hard to tell is you are drilling straight down the center until you cut it and see just how far off you really are. A real lathe with a proper headstock and chuck with a tailstock I could fasten a drill bit into would make quick work of this.

image-2800219533.jpg

image-1363103008.jpg

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Maybe you should drill hole in a blank first. Then remove excess wood position the hole where you want it. Mike

That's what I'm doing. Drilling a pilot all the way through, turning it down, and then drilling the end to accept the bit. There is just too much grain in this red oak. It can't take any pressure once it starts getting thin. This last one didn't break until I put the bit in.

When my brother turned mine, he just used a vulcanite stem once he got the bowl and shank drilled out. I'll post a couple pictures of the two or three he made and left at my house when I return from vacation. Not sure if you are looking to avoid plastics and such all together.

urbanmyth said:
When my brother turned mine, he just used a vulcanite stem once he got the bowl and shank drilled out. I'll post a couple pictures of the two or three he made and left at my house when I return from vacation. Not sure if you are looking to avoid plastics and such all together.

Wood bowl and shank. A stem/bit from a MM freehand.

That's what I'm doing. Drilling a pilot all the way through, turning it down, and then drilling the end to accept the bit. There is just too much grain in this red oak. It can't take any pressure once it starts getting thin. This last one didn't break until I put the bit in.

Sometimes you gotta get the hole wet before you stick it in.

just took up smokin a corncob pipe- that smell reminds me of my grandpa

just took up smokin a corncob pipe- that smell reminds me of my grandpa

I think that's why many of us take up the pipe smoking thing. It starts with memories of when we were kids and pipe smoke, which is a very nice smell usually, nothing like cigarrete smoke. It reminds us of good times.

We get older and for whatever reason try out a pipe. For me, it's nostalgia and good smoking. I like cigars and they are pretty cool. A pipe, it's just different. There is a great quote I read about pipe smokers but don' t remember it.

Seems to be three types of smokers. Something like, and I'll probably not get this quite correct, so anybody feel free to correct. That is quite okay.

Something similar to

Cigaraettes smokers - instant satisfaction
Cigar smokers- Victory!!
Pipe smokers - Patience, satisfaction, endurance.

I probably screwed it all up. Oh well.

Had a pre-Christmas gathering at a friend's house about an hour north of us, stopped by Telford's Pipe Shop on the way home, and ended up picking up two estate pipes, an old Custom Built and BP Jum. Both smoke great!

GilaMinumBeer said:
http://jimscigarandpipe.info/frank.html

Give this a try jeep. It works very well but always felt too loose for me early on (when I'd smoke doing yardwork the bowl seemed to finish way too soon).

Now, with a tighter pack, it feels like they take forever to smoke. i may have to revisit this myself to find a happy medium.

There are some great packing tips on that site. Thanks! I tried that method today with much better success than my rookie method (which resembled a minuteman ramrodding a muzzleloader).

I still smoke a pipe on occasion. It reminds me of my dad and his uncle from when I was young. So very relaxing, unwinding and carefree.

Got some tasty tobacco from Stauff today.

HPIM1814.jpg

Right now, I'm smoking some Christmas Cheer with a Wookey Jack, but there's also some Chocolate Silk, rum & maple, and nutty hazel. All smell amazing, I can't wait to try 'em.

Back