Anyone else out there start with kegging and never mess with bottle-carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyA

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else took the plunge right away and bought kegging equipment when they started brewing and never even thought about naturally carbonating their brew (be it beer, champagne, or cider). I know plenty of guys switched to kegging after a while when they got tired of bottling, but I don't see many guys who have no experience with bottling and went straight to keg carbonating? I just happened to make the irresponsible (but totally worth it) decision of buying all my equipment after I sold something that was worth 250 bucks. :D

i went right to kegging. if i want bottles i bottle the clear carbonated beer from the keg.

Went right to kegging. I read up on what was involved in bottling and pretty much said F that. I'm lazy and I want beer.

I learned brewing on a commercial 3 barrel system that poured into either 6 barrel serving vessels or keg.

Amazingly enough though I am now working on piecing together a 15gal system and plan to go straight to keg although I may do some bottling in order to learn the process.

I want to learn all aspects of brewing even though I am doing it reverse of how most learn.

I started on my second batch, but I still bottle sometimes...its not so bad when you don't have to do it. I've got a deal worked out with a friend where he buys ingredients and I brew and skim a twelve pack off the top. I bottle those batches and any "wild experiments".

I went right into kegging, but I'll occasionally bottle a case. That being said, if I always had to bottle this would have been a very short lived hobby.

Nope. Not how I started out.

I collected bottles, more bottles and even more bottles.
Cleaned, sanitized, cleaned, sanitized, more cleaning and more sanitizing.

I wanted less cleaning and sanitizing, so I needed bigger bottles so I would have less to clean and sanitize.

Bought a crap-load of 1 liter flip lid bottles on sale, nice...

I was cleaning less bottles, sanitizing less bottles.

On the community board at work there was a posting for 4 converted pin-lock kegs... I bought 'em.
Spent some dough on a regulator, CO2 bottle, picnic tap and misc other kegging equipment.
But WOW! clean and sanitizing one vessel, sweet.
Keg.
Keg.
Keg.
Keg.
Keg.
I want some bottles to take here and there.
Now two bottles, keg the rest.
Two bottles and keg the rest.
Now, four bottles and keg the rest.

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

I went directly into kegging. When I built my kegerator, I plumbed in lines and a bulkhead on the side that connects to the beer gun so I can bottle quickly and easily.

Back