1 Gallon recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKH1

Reaction score
Hello all!

Just curious if anyone has GREAT 1 gallon batch recipes?
( extract, partial, all grain).

Looking forward to the recipes!

Thanks

Hello all,

I am just curious if anyone has GREAT 1 Gallon batch recipes they would like to share?

Looking forward to seeing the recipes.

Thanks

You're probably not likely to get many responses to this. The best advice I can give is to find a 5, or 6, or 10 gallon recipe that looks good and divide all the ingredient amounts by 5 (or 6, or 10, depending on the recipe size).

I brew 3 gallon recipes primarily -- and probably for many of the same reasons you're looking for a 1g recipe -- and usually need to scale my recipes.

All recipes are scalable, so like mcaloney said, find a recipe you like and scale it to your size. If it's a 5 gallon, 1/5....

Although it's worth looking into what will happen to (#1) your hop utilization and (#2) your efficiency. Hop utilization generally decreases as the boil volume decreases, so you'll probably need to bump up the hops a bit after scaling (especially for hop-oriented beers such as IPAs). You may be able to achieve a more vigorous boil with a smaller volume, which would have an effect on both factors. Also, if you're using an oversize kettle to boil, your extract/wort will have a larger proportional surface area, resulting in more boiloff (this side effect can be avoided by using an appropriately-scaled pot). Probably not a huge factor, but something to keep in mind that will mean the recipes won't taste EXACTLY the same after being scaled down.

Most 3-6 gallon recipes will scale down just fine...use appropriately-proportioned vessels and consider increasing bittering hops a bit and things should come out just tasty. (Keep an eye on potentially over-pitching your yeast...a full packet of WL or Wyeast may be ay too much for a 1 gallon batch...you may want to save some for storage in the fridge.)

That is what I figured, the scaling (divide everything by 5).

Darkbrood, thanks for the additional information. Will definitely take into consideration.

Thanks

Yes its a good book. I have it and have made several recipes.

Although it's worth looking into what will happen to (#1) your hop utilization and (#2) your efficiency.

Everyone feels the need to bring this up, but it's really a non issue, any discrepencies one may think they have with this, is really negligable and actually beyond anyone's ability to discern.

Been making small batches for YEARS, everything from lightly hopped to diipas and it's NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE.

For EITHER of these issues actually.

Density/gravity of the boil is what matters, if you scaled it right, should be the same gravity, so utilization SHOULD be same at 1g or 5g.

And if it isn't, it's going to be such a minor shift our palates couldn't discern it anyway.

To compensate for lower efficiency I found it was more close if I divided the grain amounts by 4 instead of 5. But it depends on your equipment and process. If you plan on doing extract, mash efficiency is a non issue. Use a beer software like QBrew to help you with figuring out IBUs and Original Gravity. You want to come close to the gravity and bitterness of the original recipe. Being off a bit is OK. There's more to making beer than just a recipe, but with small batches it's easier to make better beer with less effort since pitching enough yeast is also easier.

What are you going to do with all those partial ounces of hops? Terrible waste..

What are you going to do with all those partial ounces of hops? Terrible waste..

Brew more!

Seriously though, I vaccuum seal by recipe now, it was the best idea I have had in a while, I can just throw them in the fridge until I need them

Yooper, how long do hops keep when frozen (pellet vs. whole)? I'v e heard stories about them absorbing freezer smells even when sealed in ziplocks.

My freezer is filled with ICE, ice packs (to cool fermentations), hops and a few pints of ice cream. There's no freezer smells to absorb.

Yooper, how long do hops keep when frozen (pellet vs. whole)? I'v e heard stories about them absorbing freezer smells even when sealed in ziplocks.

I use those vacuum sealer bags from my foodsaver. I've kept hops for years and years without any issues. Some I think might be from 2006.

I got a college mini-fridge only for hops and storing a few beers...you could easily find one outside of your local college in september if not for super cheap at a store

Check out 1 gallon brewing .com and brewtoad there are a lot of recipes and reduce 1/5 for 5 gallon recipes, I do all grain the 1 st I copied now I'm just making it up as I go, I'm on my 3rd brew today once I find some as a guide for what a I have left over...

Also check out Beer Craftr. Plus with some vendors, if you check to be sure they'll do it before you order, they might split the 5G all grain recipe (at least the grain if not the hops) into separate amounts for 1G recipes.

Back