welded/less mash tun fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincoln

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally have some small thing worth sharing here. I have a well outfitted shop (garaged) My BK is a turkey fryer and the pot it came with has very thin walls. I didn't want to risk ruining it by trying to weld a valve fitting into it so i went with weldless. Was not terrible happy with the amount of teflon tape and messing around required to get it to seal. (actually never did get it to seal all the way, it still seeps)
Next project is the water cooler mash tun with the sst braid for a manifold. for the inside fitting i am using sst hose barb that i plan to solder the braid to. Ball valve goes on the out side with an o-ring in the middle.

My trick is to turn and then weld on a oring gland so that it can't leak bast the treads on the inside. I will still have to use tape to seal threads in the valve.

Its not in my nature to take photos of what i am doing so there are gaps

316l in the chuck
IMG_0661.jpg

Drill and boar the clearance hole for 1/2" pipe
IMG_0662.jpg

Missing: Cut the gland, figure out I can't part off with the jaws i have on there.
Part off.
IMG_0664.jpg

Debur, fit, tack weld, Start welding, neighbor kids figure out i left the water wand out and are spraying everything including the dog. Oh wait WHAT?
IMG_0666.jpg

So I still have to finish welding...
IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Of course I wouldn't mind selling them. But I don't know if i can make them for what people are willing to pay. 316 is especive and the job the drop came from hasn't repeated in a year. I could use 304, Its much cheaper.

What do you think people? also do you want the sst braid soldered on or just the fitting?

Its not threaded, just drilled and welded.

Back