Amount of water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Hey all, :)

Just picked up the rest of my equipment and going to start my first batch of mead but I have a quick question...

I am going to start with a small batch (1 gallon). So the recipe I am using calls for 3 lbs (48 ounces) of honey. Since I am doing a 1 gallon (128 ounces), does that mean I need to use only 80 ounces of water? Does the honey count as part of the liquid?

Thanks for the advice.

Cregar

Wait a second, though; 48 ounces of honey is a weight measurement, not volume (ounces vs. fluid ounces). Not the same thing. So, you may still want to have a total volume of 1 gallon inclusive of the honey, but it's not as simple as 128oz - 48oz.

ok, then should I pour the honey into something to measure the "fluid" ounces then base my water amount on that measurement?

all you need to do is put the honey (or honey disolved in a little water) into the primary, then fill it with water up to 1 gallon, leaving a little room for fermentation. No real need to measure out the honey in terms of liquid oz.

Back