Can I use Gelatin if I'm bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I've heard about the use of Gelatin to clear the beer throughout this forum. However, I think yesterday I was reading a thread that mentioned that some think it works too good and takes out too much suspended yeast but that shouldn't be a problem if you keg(and force carb I'm assuming).

Can those who bottle condition still use this? I'm thinking about maybe clearing my IPA that I just brewed once it ferments for 3 weeks or so.

No reason you can't add yeast before bottling. As long as you prime with dextrose or another simple sugar, you can use Munton's or some other inexpensive dry yeast.

You won't remove all the yeast by adding gelatin, so there will be enough to carbonate your brew left in there. It might take a little longer to carbonate, but it will.

I searched a bit more after I posted this(should've done more first..sorry)...and Biermuncher did an experiment with this and the beer was barely carbed after 4 weeks. adding dry yeast before bottling would probably fix this problem but would it affect taste?

I'm torn on this. I've used gelatin too without carbing problems. I'm careful not to overdo it though, because it does worry me that I will lose all the yeast. I guess it's just something that you have to work with until you find your own limits.

I'm torn on this. I've used gelatin too without carbing problems. I'm careful not to overdo it though, because it does worry me that I will lose all the yeast. I guess it's just something that you have to work with until you find your own limits.

Even though I use it, I only use half a packet, about 1 teaspoon. It helps a lot w/ the clearing but doesn't seem to reduce the yeast too much.

Let's just say you were just way to paranoid that you would get too much yeast out of suspension and it wouldn't carb. How much yeast would you re-pitch in your bottling bucket and would it mater what kind it is. I think this was asked on the previous page of the thread but I need a little more detailed answer.

Thanks.

Back