Thanks Ike!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmonkey

Reaction score
My buddy called me around 7PM and told me he'd gotten an e- mail from somewhere that said gas will be $5 a gallon tomorrow. Sais they were going to raise prices because of hurricane Ike hitting the Gulf coast.

Like the good sheep I am, I sent my kids to the gas station with everything we had rolling. While they were pumping gas, the attendant came out and told them they wre lucky they got there when they did. Prices went up 30 cents across the board when they got done!
Mrs. Monkey and i are ready to start a revolution! We understand that it isn't the fault of the gas station operators, but we realize that we should start with them and work our way up.
I'm riding one of our horses to work tomorrow. He can graze on the lawn at the office until I leave.
This is not OPEC doing this to us, but our own people! Bastards!

BASTARDS!:mad:

The term "bastard" is in no way intended to offend anyone who may be of illegitimate birth, or otherwise parentally deficient. It is meant to express my rage at the people who would fleece all of us for any reason that may present itself. Those f.ing BASTARDS!!!

I got mine filled up yesterday at $3.56 including another 25 gallons in cans. I can always use the cans for mowing and yard equipment.

It will be interesting how much gas is tomorrow in Austin.

They said they were running out in parts of Corpus earlier.......and supposedly some places hiked up the price.

I think it may effect the prices for a while but I thought most of the oil derricks were closer to Louisiana......

It'll be even more funny when the cost goes down but the only magic available was already used to raise the price.

I got mine filled up yesterday at $3.56 including another 25 gallons in cans. I can always use the cans for mowing and yard equipment.

It will be interesting how much gas is tomorrow in Austin.
Same here...over $20 just for 1 can...but then again I have just over 2 acres to mow...even with a John Deere it still takes 4.5 hours to mow...:D

yeah one of my buddies I'm chatting with right now says gas was at 5.23 a gallon at a couple stations near Columbia, 5.38 in Sumter

sucks

So even though it'll take weeks before market prices actually drive up the price of oil, they're raising the price now anyways. Lovely. Glad I filled up today, even though my gas comes from Bellevue WA.

Isn't this the same **** that happened during Katrina?

I remember that there was no gas in ATL for a few days after that whole debacle because some bag of water and vinegar decided to start an email that the oil companies were shutting the pipelines down....

The myrmidons went out, filled up every tank they could (including the poop head with his bass-boat at the Phillip's 76) and caused an artificial shortage here...

Make sure you thank all the people driving SUV's the size of my apartment just to go to the office and back every day too.

The refiners jacked the wholesale price up almost $1.50 on Thursday. Retailers, including gas stations, have to charge their replacement costs, otherwise, how would they buy more at the new prices?

The refiners jacked the wholesale price up almost $1.50 on Thursday. Retailers, including gas stations, have to charge their replacement costs, otherwise, how would they buy more at the new prices?

I understand that, but their margin on what's in the tank right just went through the roof regardless of what they have to do with it.

When the prices comes back down, they never give back what they hiked in order to buy the next load.

Personally, one would think they would have enough capital or credit to handle purchasing the next load and bump the price when it arrived.

Anyway you look at it, gas stations love being able to bump the price a buck a gallon.

even in southern ontario gas went up 17cents a litre(17 x 4 = 68cents/gallon)
between thursday night and friday am.

I understand that, but their margin on what's in the tank right just went through the roof regardless of what they have to do with it.

When the prices comes back down, they never give back what they hiked in order to buy the next load.

Personally, one would think they would have enough capital or credit to handle purchasing the next load and bump the price when it arrived.

Anyway you look at it, gas stations love being able to bump the price a buck a gallon.

Ed, this surprises me coming from you
This is supply and demand capitalism at it's best

I know independent operators buy the gas, and resell it. But I think with some of the franchisees, and chains, they do not own the gas in their tanks, they pay for it as it is pumped. Many others do not have any say in the price they can sell it for.

It is not the operators who are gouging, it is the big oil companies. Who by the way are posting unbelievable profit numbers in this slow economy. The American way...right??

And, doesn't it seem odd, that there were no lines at the station until the price went up. Then everyone wanted to fill up immediately..

I don't quite get that. I drive 500-550 miles a week, but why not wait a day if I can to see if prices bounce down a bit??

Anyone have a CNG car/truck? Natural Gas is only 2.25 a gallon here. My dad's truck is CNG and he only uses gasoline when he tows his boat.

Back