JZ's hop hammer (pliny clone) not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmudrick

Reaction score
I brewed up Jamil's hop hammer recipe (from Brewing Classic Styles) which is basically a Pliny the Elder (double ipa) clone.

Fermentation went well - I used 2 packages of rehydrated safale us-05 (dry), original (1.081) and final gravity (1.012) were within my target. 10 days primary, about 2 weeks secondary with dry hopping. Primary & secondary temps were around 70-72 degrees.

I had 4.5 gallons at bottling time. I used 3.9 oz cane sugar (I pretty much always prime with cane sugar), targetting around 2.5 vol co2.

It has been 4 weeks in the bottle now and there is virtually no carbonation. Last week I tried a bottle - nothing. I then tried rolling the bottles around to rouse the yeast, but in the past week it seems to have had zero effect. The bottles are sitting in a high 70s room right now.

Any suggestions? Patience would be nice, but I blew so much money on the hop bill for this guy, so every day that goes by, I feel like my precious hop flavor and aroma is going down the drain (almost a full pound of hops that I had to source from mutiple places went into it.)

Dead yeast? Too much hop oil impeding things? Too much alcohol (9.3%) ? I have some packets of us-05 lying around, but have no idea how I would go about measuring the [small] quantity I'd need along with some sugar to add to each bottle to get it going.

I would try rousing the bottles some more. Take them and flip them head-over-heals a couple times. Is there sediment in the bottom? It might just take a little bit longer. Patience.

Latest posts

Back