it stoped bubbling as much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termeric

Reaction score
hi,

my cider has stopped bubbling so much, and i'm only a week and a half in. does this mean that the yeast has started to die off? ive been trying to keep the cider at 60 degrees or more, but its entirely possible that its slipped into the high 50s at times. is there anything that i can do? should i add another packet of yeast? should i even worry?

so far i've just taken it out of the closet and put it next to the radiator to warm it a bit.

It could mean that fermentation has stopped, I wouldnt worry about it, what was the recipe you used? yeast? sugar?

heres the recipe i'm using;

5 Gal apple Juice
2 lbs. dark brown Sugar
1 lb raisins
1packet of champagne yeast.

if it doesnt pick back up, should i rack it? i was planing on waiting til week 3.

No you should be fine I would actually leave it for about a month in the vessel it is in before racking, unless you are going to start another batch.

Because of the dark brown sugar I would give it another month or two after racking (if you do rack it) because it may take a bit longer to clear, and the longer you wait the more all the flavors mellow out.

Its worth the wait! Sounds like a good recipe.

i've been thinking about starting another batch, i didn't realize at first how long i was going to let the cider sit before consumption, so i think that starting another batch now will help me get through the summer.

i'll probably let it mellow for the 3 weeks as planed and then rack to the secondary.

Well really you can drink it after about a month, I did that with one batch pretty much the same as yours except I used Montrachet wine yeast, I cold crashed it in my garage for a few days and bottled it, it wasnt too terribly bad but each bottle was better than the last after they aged for a while.

whats the difference between aging it in the carboy vs in the bottles? is it just for batch consistency?

You wont get as much sediment settling in the bottle if you leave it in the carboy to age whereas if you bottle it sediment will settle out in the bottle, you might get some undesired flavors, it could be cloudy when you pour, stuff like that because pouring will disrupt that crap on the bottom and mix it back in. (If we are talking wine bottles).

termeric said:
i've been thinking about starting another batch, i didn't realize at first how long i was going to let the cider sit before consumption, so i think that starting another batch now will help me get through the summer.

i'll probably let it mellow for the 3 weeks as planed and then rack to the secondary.

Start a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein (yes I know, that's what EVERYONE recommends, but that's because it's good!). It will be mellow and ready to drink within 2 months, although it gets better as it ages apparently (I don't know yet, I've only made 2 batches and it goes fairly quickly).

should i take a gravity reading again? i dont want to over do it with opening the bucket.

Once youre in to fermentation or when it is complete you dont have to worry as much about opening the vessel, youll be fine if you want to take a hydrometer sample.

+1 on trying Edworts Apfelwein

i just popped it open and took a reading. it started at 9 and is now around 0, so that means im at 8% alcohol right?

i kinda want to rack this now and start batch 2.

If its at 1.000 or below that you can go ahead and rack it if youd like, and get crackin on another batch!

(try Edworts!)

its just below 1.000, i was looking at a different side of the scale. i didn't take the temp when it started tho, so i have nothing to compare to.

the specific gravity started around 1.170-1.175, now its at . 995ish

Well if its at 60º right now, and youre getting .9 it is more than likely finished and you can rack. As far as an ABV% its hard to say because were unsure of the temp at the time the OG was taken.

just checked the temp, im a bit closer to 70, im gonna let it cool off

i racked it from the pail into the carboy. there was a lot of yeast sludge on the bottom.

Back