Electric Build Eye Candy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear419

Reaction score
Just about done with this project. Here are some pics of it coming together. I will have to write up a lessons learned post once I have the plumbing and stand in place.

Big Thanks to the HBT community. You guys were an invaluable resource. :mug:

A16L1r0.jpg

BJtcWYM.jpg

TyCu7PS.jpg

q5iHRce.jpg

MZdbupG.jpg

pPJvYsE.jpg

Q9nYmzY.jpg

rVKatph.jpg

6rRflH8.jpg

I like what your'e doing there!
Can you kindly explain or picture how you attached the J-box to your element?

Thanks!

I like what your'e doing there!
Can you kindly explain or picture how you attached the J-box to your element?

Thanks!

On the open side of the J-box (facing keg) there is a metal face plate and water proof gasket. I used a step bit to put a hole in the face plate just large enough for the elements threads to fit through but not the rest of the element base.

I wired the element up and attached the face plate to the j-box. At that point the element wasn't really secured to anything, but when I attached the nut inside the keg everything tightened up nicely. The trick was I had to very carefully tighten down the nut to the element. I had to hold the element and/or J-box to keep them from twisting as I threaded the nut. If they twist you will mess up the internal wiring or mess up the o-ring.

I honestly wasn't sure I would be able to get it tight enough , but it worked out.

I think Kal recommends you have the j-box face the other way so you can remove the face plate and use an element wrench to secure the element as you fasten the nut. I think that way is preferable if you have the right equipment for it (I didn't)

If that doesn't make sense let me know and I will try to diagram what I did.

bear... nice umm box... :)

i actually have purchased the same exact one for my build. my question to you is, what did you use for a backplate to mount the other components? i'm thinking of turning the tool tray upside down and trimming it.

bear... nice umm box... :)

i actually have purchased the same exact one for my build. my question to you is, what did you use for a backplate to mount the other components? i'm thinking of turning the tool tray upside down and trimming it.

I had some extra masonite board from another project. and mounted it to the bottom of the box with some bolts and rubber washers.

One tip. be very mindful of where you drill the holes for your switches. If you place a hole too close to one of the structural ridges on the underside of the lid, the terminal block will not fit. I did this, and it was a PITA cutting out enough of the ridge for the terminal block to clear,

This is a great box for a project like this, if you screw up (like i did) you are only out $14, and amazon will have a new one to you in a day or two.

alright. just investigating all options. considering rotozipping a piece of sheet metal, what you suggested, using the tray, etc.

and yes, my thoughts on the toolbox. i dont need a caddilac as my first car :)

Back