Finished my first AG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
Had the day off and was finally able to get out and pick up the grain bill for my first AG batch. A cascade APA. It was so much more fun than extract, simply because I was able to make an entire day out of it instead of a couple hours. I used the Ibrewmaster app which happens to be awesome. I got 80% efficiently and hit my target gravity within a point. Best part was the cost advantage. I was able to brew a 5 gal batch for $26 and this beer has a pretty large hop bill.

I felt the same way when I went into all grain. Much more going on and my beers just keep getting better. Price savings is definitely a good thing as well. I have been buying most of my ingredients in bulk which saves even more. Well continue to have fun with it and let us know how the brew turned out!

Thanks man... Brewing is one of the more relaxing things I get to do so making it last all day is pretty awesome!

I'm doing my first AG this weekend. I can't wait. It is a hoptastic 100 IBU (all centennial) IPA that should come in around 8%. Last weekend I made a wort chiller, a cooler tun and I seasoned my new outdoor brew kettle.

100 IBU's that's a burner man! You will really enjoy AG... I had a friend over to give me a hand today. He doesn't have a clue about brewing, but it helped having someone pouring grains into the mash tun, or helping lift and pour strike water and such. Take your time when you do it, it really helped having that Ibrewmaster to get all of my volumes, and numbers right. make sure to preheat your mash tun cooler before you put your strike water in. I batch sparged since it was my first try at AG. Make sure you let us know how your brew day goes.

Congrats man! I did my first all-grain brew on Saturday, and I can totally understand what you mean about stretching the joy of the brewing process throughout the whole day (all though SWMBO wasn't pleased with having little help the children all day). I'm definitely hooked now, especially after spending a good chunk of change on AG equipment. I don't see myself making many more extract batches in the future, maybe just as quick one-offs, like the surprise java vanilla porter I'm planning for my wife.

I totally hear you. I finally made the jump to AG recently after 3 years of extract brewing and couldn't agree more. It's definitely a lot more enjoyable and gives time for visiting, eating/BBQ'ing, drinking and whatever else. I'm most excited to try the beers that were unattainable with extract, but have been honing my process on the tried-and-true's to begin with. Hope you keep on keeping on!

Fermenting along nicely!

image-2368866115.jpg

Back