Root Beer - I wanna bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanbmc

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a rootbeer with my nephew this weekend, and I really want to bottle it. Since I started kegging I now have lots of extra bottles and thought this would be a fun way to share. Ive read to avoid bottling because of exploding bottles, but wanted to see if anyone had a good technique/yeast that worked for them.

I do have the ability to keg while carbonating, but bottling from that may not be recommended.

Any thoughts?

The best approach is to let the bottles carbonate, then kill the yeast by heating. 165F for 30 minutes does the trick. I'm certain there are detailed instructions in this sub-forum.

Making root beer is easy, but I'd recommend plastic (not glass) bottles.

I always used 16 oz coke bottles, and that worked perfectly. If you use plastic bottles, you can stick them in the fridge when they feel hard and not have any bottles blowing up.

One the easiest and best tasting root beers I've done (with bottle carbonating) is the cheapest as well. I used McKormick's root beer flavoring from the grocery store, and followed the directions exactly. Champagne yeast is great for soda, and you only need a tiny bit so you can reclose the package and use the rest later. It turned out really good!

I've had excellent results bottling in glass from a keg using Biermuncher's bottle filler. See the "We don't need no stinking beer gun" thread stickied in the Bottling/Kegging section.

If you are bottling carefully from a cold keg, you can still retain plenty of carbonation.

Back