Are you fit or fat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was getting a bit of a beer belly, but had surgery almost 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've been mostly unable to eat solid foods (just starting to now) and no drinking due to the pain meds. Net result is that I am down 14 pounds. I hope to parlay this a bit more and try to get walking/running habits going. Another 16 pounds and I would be back to the weight I had when I ran marathons, which would be awesome. Even if I could just stay at this weight would be great.

Chaddyb said:
I'm 6'2" and weigh roughly 180 lbs. I eat fairly healthy, and run a 5k (3.2 mi) every day after work. I drink about a beer a night, and tend to skip a couple days a week drinking.

5k is 3.1 miles. Don't cheat. :)

I drink beer 3-4 nights per week. Some nights 1-2 beers...others, well, a little more... I am 5'8" and maintain body fat % in the range of 12-15% at 165 to 170 lbs. It is a simple equation. Calories in>calories out and u will gain weight. I don't have a naturally fast metabolism so, like when I was a kid in school and everyone was better in math than me, I have to work harder for the same results. I don't buy the genetic/environmental argument ... Some have to work harder than others, but if you make maintaining your health a priority, you can account for your beer calories and stay in shape too.

I work out most mornings before work in the gym and run or take spin 3-4 times per week on top of that. I manage my caloric intake to some extent, but more manage what makes up those calories. Lower carbs, especially on days when I think I will have a few beers. I try to avoid sugars. But the level of activity, especially the weights which is really what increases metabolic rate (not cardio) gives you some flexibility.

It's time consuming but I have energy for my kids and they learn that health and working out are important. And it gives me flexibility to do Something I love... Brew and drink my own beer. 14 years ago I was 215 lbs with no muscle at all. Anyone can do it.

OK... Whoever it was that brought up the "Burpee Power hour" -- you are not my friend.

I HAD to look that up, then I HAD to try it today when I got home from work.

Ugh. 7 per min, 420 total. Heart rate at flame-out = 156. Baddest workout I've had in years, including P90X. Brutal. Actually saw spots, then stars, around minute 50...

To top it off, I just cracked open the first honey juniper 2IPA I recently bottled and it is not nearly as good as I expected. I HOPE another 2 weeks in the bottle before I chill it will bring it around, but I'm a little disappointed with this brew so far. AND probably just about as many calories in the bomber as I just burned off.

Strong beer too. Another 2 of these and my posts will be 10X longer. I'm a total thread killer when I get my drink on!

To top it off, I just cracked open the first honey juniper 2IPA I recently bottled and it is not nearly as good as I expected. I HOPE another 2 weeks in the bottle before I chill it will bring it around, but I'm a little disappointed with this brew so far. AND probably just about as many calories in the bomber as I just burned off.

Strong beer too. Another 2 of these and my posts will be 10X longer. I'm a total thread killer when I get my drink on!

Ha. now dirnking my own IIPA after 2 months in keg...getting better and better, even without the extra flavors in yours...hated after it carbed up, beginning to enjoy it only now...let's see, that figures to be 476,978 burpees from now for you...lol

6'2" and 225-230lbs and in good shape. was 250 when I got back from Iraq (lifted weights like mad!) but my new occupational school in the military requires 8-10 hours sweating in the sun of Florida every day and then I cap that off with an hour of organized physical training every weekday (crossfit style workouts). I drink 1-2 beers a day during the weekdays and considerably more 1-2 Saturdays a month at the beach.

I drink plenty but eat pretty well, keep away from processed foods and salt. Don't tell them I drink a beer every day, they'll make me go to substance abuse counseling!!!!

I like to think of myself as fit, 25 Years old, 6"4' and around 180 pounds.

I have been addicted to Crossfit for 2 years now and am never going back. I love the routine of lifting heavy and then putting in a good MetCon WOD. I eat strict paleo with my problem being beer. I usually drink 1 a night with dinner during the week and maybe 2-4 on weekends.

Chromados

I like to think of myself as fit, 25 Years old, 6"4' and around 180 pounds.

I have been addicted to Crossfit for 2 years now and am never going back. I love the routine of lifting heavy and then putting in a good MetCon WOD. I eat strict paleo with my problem being beer. I usually drink 1 a night with dinner during the week and maybe 2-4 on weekends.

Chromados

dude, thats hardly a problem. I'm addicted to NOT working out, and kill a 22oz bomber or more a night (which pales in comparison to some people). AND you eat strict paleo?! i'm seriously making some boxed mac and cheese right now. hows that for healthy?

I'm a fairly fit fat guy. How's that? I'm 5'10" and weigh around 210lbs. I used to be in phenomenal shape at 165lbs, but I ran 5 miles a day, 6 days a week, and spent several hours a day at the gym. Now, I really just want to enjoy my time, instead of worrying about counting calories, and what I can and can't do. I average 4 beers a day, and usually go through 6 or more per day during my days off work.

BrettFitz said:
OK... Whoever it was that brought up the "Burpee Power hour" -- you are not my friend.

I HAD to look that up, then I HAD to try it today when I got home from work.

Ugh. 7 per min, 420 total. Heart rate at flame-out = 156. Baddest workout I've had in years, including P90X. Brutal. Actually saw spots, then stars, around minute 50...

So look up the burpee mile now. Burpee and long jump for a mile. It comes out to around 700-750 burpees, more or less if you can't jump or some sort of long jump freak. Plan on an hour and a half if you are in great shape. Budget a full day if you aren't.

If you're into that kind of stuff, check out crossfit. There's most likely a crossfit gym nearby, drop in, and check it out

I'm both. I got irresponsible and shot up about 20 lbs past my normal weight, but I have been biking 30-40 miles a week for the last month or so trying to get back into shape.

I was doing great. Gym 4 days a week, eating right, moderate drinking. With a move, wedding, honeymoon, work stress, trout season and vacation in the last two months I've been to the gym twice, been drinking every day and gained a good 15lbs.

time to get back into gear.

I'm 6'1" and 173 lbs, so pretty skinny but 100% out of shape. Cannot run for more than a few minutes before I start to wheeze and die (maybe my asthma has something to do that).

<~~~~ everything is bigger in Texas! I'm a big eater and a big boy, but I work a very physical, active job for a living. I just like my meat, potato's, and beer!

I'm getting fit. Over the last 10 years my weight has very slowly been creeping up but the slow creep suddenly turned into a sprint late last year. Mostly it was due to too much work travel and a lack of exercise. For some reason I let my eating habits just go bonkers during the holiday season this year.

Two things happened which forced the decision to diet. My clothes simply didn't fit - yes a button actually flew off (but no one was hurt:)). I also surpassed the magic 200 pound barrier. This happened while I was trying to exercise to lose the weight which goes to show how important diet is.

I went on Atkins which I had used 15 years ago with success. I was 217 lbs back then and reduced to 190.

The latest version of Atkins actually matches my normal eating habits - a good mix of protein, vegetables and dietary fat. I don't eat foods where the ingredients only exist in a chemistry lab and I keep sugar intake to a minimum.

The lack of beer while in the early phases of the diet hurt as I promised myself no beer until I hit 185. I actually brewed a lager figuring it would be about ready when I was.

I'm 6'2" and currently 183 lbs. I'd like to lose a few more pounds but I'm more concerned with improving general fitness at this point, although I do run and my general health is excellent.

Me. 5'09" 145lbs. Was 205.... Then made a bet for lent that I could not give up soda. 60lbs later and I'm in much better shape.

I have always been fit and my recent beer obsession hasn't changed it. It's all about the calories in and out (yes, it also matters on what the calories are made up of). Generally I stay away from carbs that are white, sugar, bad fats and intake as much clean protein as frequently as possible. The beer is now just substituted for some of the bad carbs I would occasionally eat. I does get tougher as I get older.

I'm in denial :cross: getting fit is way overrated ! Been the same weight since I was 17 and drink and eat whatever I want. Just work my arse off at home and sleep at work. Only open my eyes when flying for my job.

I'm 64, and have the body of a 30 year old. She's a little goofy, and not cute, but the body is 30 years old;) Does that make me fit, or fat?:D If I had more money, I'd have the body of a 25 year old :ban:

I'm a Boston qualifying marathoner and also run ultramarathons (have completed two 100 milers, both in 22 hours and change). Beer and fitness can work together. In fact, they can compliment each other. In terms of weight loss, I think it's important to keep in mind that if one burns more calories than taken in, weight will get lost. Beer is actually pretty nutritious... just like any other food, moderation is key.

I'm more fit now than say 5 years ago. I moved to Finland and I was around 265 lbs. I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, high stress and my cardiologist said I would have a heart attach before I was 35, bad enough I had to have a cardiologist at age 26.
Got here, stopped fast food, stopped working (stay at home dad) and walked everywhere, even in winter. These days I play soccer all year around and have run some half marathons (best time 1:32). I am down to 225, no cholesterol problem, no high blood pressure and haven't had chest pains in years.

I'm 64, and have the body of a 30 year old. She's a little goofy, and not cute, but the body is 30 years old;) Does that make me fit, or fat?:D If I had more money, I'd have the body of a 25 year old :ban:

Well played. :mug:

6'4" 290lbs

Sounds obese, I know. But I carry it well. Still, I plan on losing weight soon. I had a job change, moved out of my apartment and tore an ab muscle recently. I guess im a bit of a stress eater.

I'm not fat, but I sure would like to lose about 25 pounds. I recently tried doing a low-carb diet and running every day, counting every single calorie for two months straight. Most days I would be "under" my planned caloric intake. Net effect on my weight: +2 lbs.

So, I gave that crap up and started eating carbs again in somewhat sensible amounts, and stopped counting calories entirely. All that bookkeeping is a major PITA. I also don't run nearly as much, but I have been doing more muscle-building exercises instead. So far I am down 5 lbs from my previous measurement.

I'm not fat, but I sure would like to lose about 25 pounds. I recently tried doing a low-carb diet and running every day, counting every single calorie for two months straight. Most days I would be "under" my planned caloric intake. Net effect on my weight: +2 lbs.

So, I gave that crap up and started eating carbs again in somewhat sensible amounts, and stopped counting calories entirely. All that bookkeeping is a major PITA. I also don't run nearly as much, but I have been doing more muscle-building exercises instead. So far I am down 5 lbs from my previous measurement.

If you have a smart phone, look into myfitnesspal. Works great and is convenient.

At the moment I'm fortunate in that I'm both young and a lightweight.
I'd rarely drink more than a pint of beer on a week-day if at all, and on a college binge-up I'd probably not drink a lot more than what an experienced drinker would have at the pub.
It loses me man-points but I also tend to buy in halves at bars. My mates always comment but it gives me the opportunity to try different ales they have on-tap without hitting the floor :)

My beer-intake has increased a bit now I've got my first batch of home-brew bottled though (guess price was the limiting factor) but I doubt it's anything I don't burn-off walking to lectures
:mug:

Currently fit but recently had a kid and discovered kegging so starting to go in the other direction....

I can see why you gave up counting calories. It's far more realistic just to make a habit of eating the right stuff and moderating the wrong stuff than it is to tally-up individual calories every day.
That +2 lbs might have been a muscle increase from running? Most gyms advise that you might initially put on weight when you start an exercise regime since the muscular hypertrophy outweighs the fat-loss.
Keep up the resistance-exercise: It reduces sarcopenia and osteoporosis in later life :)

If you have a smart phone, look into myfitnesspal. Works great and is convenient.

I have apps to track calories, but I can't stand using them. I do use the apps for fitness tracking. I have used runkeeper for a couple years, and fitocracy since it was in beta last year.

Tracking calories, though, is still a pain in the ass if I am cooking my own meals, which I do, and not using particularly off-the-shelf or common ingredients all the time. If I am eating prepackaged stuff, I can just scan the barcode and that's nice and handy, but for just one meal where I'm combining several different fresh (or sometimes not) ingredients, I end up spending nearly as much time entering data as I do eating.

People make this too hard sometimes; our bodies aren't calculators. I absolutely can't stand the calories-in-calories-out analogy.

Eat real food, and get some exercise, that's really all it takes. If most of what you eat comes from a box or a package, it's probably not good for you. It's really not rocket science.

Fad diets are just that, fads. Ten years from now people will look back and think they are ridiculous, which they are.

Just eat real food: Meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc etc. The details will sort themselves out.

I have apps to track calories, but I can't stand using them. I do use the apps for fitness tracking. I have used runkeeper for a couple years, and fitocracy since it was in beta last year.

Tracking calories, though, is still a pain in the ass if I am cooking my own meals, which I do, and not using particularly off-the-shelf or common ingredients all the time. If I am eating prepackaged stuff, I can just scan the barcode and that's nice and handy, but for just one meal where I'm combining several different fresh (or sometimes not) ingredients, I end up spending nearly as much time entering data as I do eating.

I'm 6'2.5 and 190 lbs. Pretty fit and gonna do some more triathlons this summer. We should start a fitocracy group for brewers. Work off the beers we've brewed and replenish them once we're back

scottland said:
People make this too hard sometimes; our bodies aren't calculators. I absolutely can't stand the calories-in-calories-out analogy.

Eat real food, and get some exercise, that's really all it takes. If most of what you eat comes from a box or a package, it's probably not good for you. It's really not rocket science.

Fad diets are just that, fads. Ten years from now people will look back and think they are ridiculous, which they are.

Just eat real food: Meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc etc. The details will sort themselves out.

Very well said. The last year or so SWMBO and I have been making all of our food from scratch and once in a blue moon getting a component of a meal in a box.

I have to say I just feel better and over a short period of time we got good enough that our food tastes way better than anything pre-packaged.

And fad diets don't work all the time because our bodies aren't all the same and metabolize things differently. But eating a real, balanced diet plus exercise always works.

Back