Can you control the evaporation rate in a boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Last year I bought a new 11 gallon SS boil pot. I love this thing because now I have plenty of head space - no more worry on boil overs!

One thing that has changed that I like a little less is my evaporation rate. My older recipes called for about 7.2 gallons of wert to end up with 5.5 gallons into the fermenter. I upped the amount bot about 7.5 gallons of wert to boil and I'm still coming up a bit short (barely 5 gallons after a 90 min. boil on my last recipe).

I know I can change the evap rate in beersmith and get the numbers to work for this set up but I was just wondering - is there a way to reduce the amount of evaporation loss? I maintain a good rolling boil, not an extreme splashing one and I remove the lid as soon as the temp gets to about 200° so I let all the "stuff" boil out that's supposed to but this still seems like a lot of loss to me.

Thoughts - suggestions??

An aggressive boil will lose more, a barely rolling boil will loose less. The dimensions of the pot also changes the boil off rate. A wide shallow pot of the same size will boil off more than a tall narrow pot.

Temperature, humidity and possibly the density of the wort will also have an effect.

I would adjust for your average boil off with the BS2 software and make your recipes for that rate instead of trying to control the boil off.

There's only a few things you can do about it.

-Boil with the lid partially covering but I suppose there is some chance of retaining some DMS.
-Reduce the length of your boil.
-Boil less vigorously.
-Boil somewhere with less wind and higher humidity, like inside for instance but that's not a viable option unless you have some super powerful burner inside like a dedicated wok burner for instance.

You are pretty much stuck with just starting with the larger pre-boil volume if you are set on sticking to 90 minute boils.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I kind of figured "adjust for it - live with it" was going to be the answer but I just figured I'd ask. Just fyi, the 90 minute boil was just for this particular recipe, most of my boils are 60 minutes.

In any case, I still love the big pot. Beats the hell out of my old 26 qt pot!

Back