Lactose in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichSib

Reaction score
In a fit of deranged inspiration I recently brewed a pretty standard rye stout, OG 1.062 and pitched it onto a cake of Whitelabs 0565 Saison 1, from which I had just racked a rye saison.
Primary is done and it tastes pretty good at SG 1.006, the roasted malt fairly dominates the yeast at this stage, but it's too dry.
Can I add a boiled lactose solution to secondary to sweeten it up a bit without causing much more fermentation?

In a fit of deranged inspiration I recently brewed a pretty standard rye stout, OG 1.062 and pitched it onto a cake of Whitelabs 0565 Saison 1, from which I had just racked a rye saison.
Primary is done and it tastes pretty good at SG 1.006, the roasted malt fairly dominates the yeast at this stage, but it's too dry.
Can I add a boiled lactose solution to secondary to sweeten it up a bit without causing much more fermentation?

I don't see why not. Lactose is mostly unfermentable (not 100%) and if it's boiled, it will be sanitized. I'd just be careful of oxidation (don't splash it).

MC

Back