First brew made made on sunday, next brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwarski

Reaction score
What's up everybody? I'm new to brewing, made my first batch this past Sunday and is fermenting away. So far im really digging brewing and want to start tinkering w recipes. I got a hefeweissen kit and was wondering if it made any sense to brew next time with same kit to see any differences or consistencies in brews or that kind of a waste of time? I was thinking about bottling in a week or so and brewing next batch same wknd.

Make something different a few times first. Then pick one to repeat. That way you don't burn out too fast. You may find that you really enjoy a certain beer so much that it is your staple go to beer that you want to perfect.:mug:

I agree. Exploring a specific style for a couple batches will exemplify small changes in ingredients/technique. Everytime I get a new kit I start with the self snobbery & wonder what its supposed to taste like. Then RDWHAHB.

I started brewing by myself a year ago, brewed with a friend for years prior to that. I did a pale ale, then an amber, then a hefe, etc.. For now I only repeat a recipe if i didnt like a batch or thought that i could significantly change the quality by changing the recipe. Basically i want to get at least 5 or 6 recipes that i know are winners, then cycle through them. Occasionally i experiment with recipes i havent tried, and if theyre good enough i put them into my normal rotation.

The next beer i want to try is a kolsche, light lagerlike ale thats good for warm weather. I want to nail it before summer so when summer comes ill have a good kolsche recipe.

For new brewers I always suggest brewing beer styles you are very familiar with. That way you can compare your brew with a known factor.

I even bought some commercial standards of what I was brewing for back to back comparisons. Sometimes it can be rather humbling.....

The plain old pale ale is something I have yet to get just exactly right...

Once you are satisfied with your skills you can shoot for the moon.

Pez.

Thnx for all the advice everybody, gonna take the next cple wks to decide me next brew. Leaning towards ipa so far. Thnx again for the input, much appreciated.

thnx for all the advice everybody, gonna take the next cple wks to decide me next brew. Leaning towards ipa so far. Thnx again for the input, much appreciated.

COUPLE WEEKS???? I'd have thought you would already be on your third brew. :rockin::ban: :D

Aah, but you don't need carboys. Plastic buckets work just fine, are half the price, and won't shatter if dropped. They also have nice carrying handles and a big opening to get things in and out of. That makes them easy to clean and if you use a little care not to scratch them they will last for years. If you ever have more than one empty, they stack too.

Back