Welding 101 = Brew Stand build #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernYankee

Reaction score
(Update 04/17/2011) **** Photobucket isn't working right ***** I changed photo hosting to Imageshack. So some of the photos are different then originally posted from 04/07/2011. I will post more photos within a few days.

I thought I would share another Brew stand I'm building at the moment.
For those of you that have seen the thread (topic) listed below in the link. Welcome back!
First off, I know longer own the original brew stand I built last year. About 10 months ago I sold it.
I now have found that I'm in need for another stand. With this in mind. I set out to build another stand which this time around I intend to keep.

I designed this one a little different. I'm still using 1.5 inch steel tubing.
The stand itself is longer, taller. Not as wide. A little different lay out.
I'm using different casters. Not the expanding rubber insert ones. But rather the thread/nut combo ones.
Know more diamond plate, which is being replaced with expanded steel.
Only two burners are planed for this one. I knew that I would never have the need for a third burner.
I'm going to hard plum it with copper.
All the ends are welded shut. No more plastic caps..(which melted) lesson learned.
Different burner holders/windshields.

63677429.jpg

21026241.jpg

56698925.jpg

76501774.jpg

48146755.jpg

Still a lot of welding, grinding and sanding to do.....

As stated its still in the early stages. With 2 young boys. Finding time is very limited. But here are a few photos for now.

Good luck, I just finished mine which you inspired me to make. I am having the inaugural brew session on it this Sat. I made mine taller so I can store my keggles underneath it.

Looking forward to following this. After looking at your other build I think this one should turn out great. I'm in the planning stages of mine so I hope to get some ideas from what your doing.

Did you grind the edges of the nuts before you welded them? I found out the hard way that they are usually zinc? coated and don't weld well if you don't. The weld won't stick well.

On the casters, if they say that they are 4 inch does that mean they raise the stand 4 inches or 2 inches? I want to order my metal but don't have the casters yet to measure them.

Did you grind the edges of the nuts before you welded them? I found out the hard way that they are usually zinc? coated and don't weld well if you don't. The weld won't stick well.

On the casters, if they say that they are 4 inch does that mean they raise the stand 4 inches or 2 inches? I want to order my metal but don't have the casters yet to measure them.

Nope the nuts were never ground. But after making them cherry red hot with the welder while welding them on...there not moving any. The weld didn't have any problems sticking to them.

For the casters: If you have a 4 inch caster total overall height will be 5 inches. Plus or minis 1/8 to a 1/2.
With casters you generally add an inch.

I purchased 4 stem casters off of ebay for around $16. Which is a great deal, the price included shipping. All I had to do was buy the 1/2 inch nuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INSTITUTIONAL-F...50760344670?pt=BI_Casters&hash=item3a627b345e

A few more photos:
44710009.jpg

77352044.jpg

85436348.jpg

63549603.jpg

I added the center platform for the pump. Also I was making some checks were the black pipe was going to go.

I used your original design with a couple of changes to build my stand. I went 64 inches wide and used 6 legs and castors. I picked up the steel Friday night and spent about 8 hours between Saturday and Sunday welding and grinding. All I have left to do is to mount the burners the pump and paint. I wish I had ordered the parts before I started because now I have to wait for parts to come in to finish it. Thanks for the design help, it made things much easier.

I used your original design with a couple of changes to build my stand. I went 64 inches wide and used 6 legs and castors. I picked up the steel Friday night and spent about 8 hours between Saturday and Sunday welding and grinding. All I have left to do is to mount the burners the pump and paint. I wish I had ordered the parts before I started because now I have to wait for parts to come in to finish it. Thanks for the design help, it made things much easier.

First off, good luck in your build, :mug:

I know what you mean by not having all the parts needed. The only plumbing I have for the stand is what is shown in the photos (other then the burners, which arn't mounted yet). Its piece as you go type of project. :cross:

Again good luck and I want to see some photos!

I got into welding and grinding so much I never did take one picture. I'll have to get some of the finished product. I picked up one of those auto darkening welding helmets Saturday night, what a difference in Sundays welds. I should have bought one of those years ago.

Got around to painting and adding the casters and burners.
Top half is painted with 1200 degree heat resistant paint.

Still working on the hard plumbing.

80882689.jpg

88416698.jpg

73255033.jpg

Looks great, subscribed. Maybe this will inspire me to learn welding and stop using the Lowe's shelving I have as a brewstand... Maybe.

Yankee,

I too built my first stand from your inspiration. But I recently sold it and am in the midst of my second with some thing I realized I wanted to change. I actually went from 62" wide to 60". What made you go longer?

Also why did you move away from the expandable stem casters? Price?

I am going with stainless steel as I hated the painting part of it.

Subscribed and good luck.

Is the black paint the barbeque paint that they sell at Lowes? I still need to paint mine and I would love to go with a silver but I figure the regular black would be easier to touch up. What did you use for the silver on the bottom?

Yankee,

I too built my first stand from your inspiration. But I recently sold it and am in the midst of my second with some thing I realized I wanted to change. I actually went from 62" wide to 60". What made you go longer?

Also why did you move away from the expandable stem casters? Price?

I am going with stainless steel as I hated the painting part of it.

Subscribed and good luck.

I went longer for two reasons.
1. I added onto the two empty spaces next to the burners because of the heat. I made them wider on this build.
2. Also I made the center a little wider then the two burner ends. The center will be used as a shelf or even for the Mash Tun. The Mash Tun is a plastic cooler...so once again I wanted the extra distance because of the heat.
I wanted to add expanded metal for the center. But I like the wooden look. I might just build another wooden platform center for this one.

Overall length for the first build to this one is only by 1 inch.
Original stand length is 62 inches.. This one 63.

For the casters...your right, The price. From about 70 bucks on the original stand to $16 for this one.

For the painting part of the stand. This paint job took me less then an hour to do. Krylon barbecue and stove paint you can find at Walmart. But Lowe's and HD sell barbeque paint as well.
The silver paint is just a Rust-Olem brand metallic paint.

I dont mind painting it. Touch up is really easy with the black paint, It isnt glossy but a flat paint. So it dries in a matter of mins.

I went longer for two reasons.
1. I added onto the two empty spaces next to the burners because of the heat. I made them wider on this build.
2. Also I made the center a little wider then the two burner ends. The center will be used as a shelf or even for the Mash Tun. The Mash Tun is a plastic cooler...so once again I wanted the extra distance because of the heat.
I wanted to add expanded metal for the center. But I like the wooden look. I might just build another wooden platform center for this one.

Overall length for the first build to this one is only by 1 inch.
Original stand length is 62 inches.. This one 63.

For the casters...your right, The price. From about 70 bucks on the original stand to $16 for this one.

For the painting part of the stand. This paint job took me less then an hour to do. Krylon barbecue and stove paint you can find at Walmart. But Lowe's and HD sell barbeque paint as well.
The silver paint is just a Rust-Olem brand metallic paint.

I dont mind painting it. Touch up is really easy with the black paint, It isnt glossy but a flat paint. So it dries in a matter of mins.

Do you think you get get away with painting the silver all the way to the top of the lags and then doing the very top with the black? I'm wondering how hot the legs really get. I'd love to have almost all silver.

Do you think you get get away with painting the silver all the way to the top of the lags and then doing the very top with the black? I'm wondering how hot the legs really get. I'd love to have almost all silver.

Nope, Ive tried that with my other stand. I had it painted all the way up to the top part. The paint started to peel because of the heat. If you want to paint most of your stand. I would goto your local automotive store..There they sell header paint which is rated up to 2000.
It cost around $9 for a can and they sell all different colors.
You could try this.

Looks nice! I see you have changed your heat shield/windshield design from your original stand. I would be interested in how you came about with the new design.

Trying to resurrect this thread. How do you like this version vs the prior?

I'm wondering if you like the extra shelf for the pump where it is.

Latest posts

Back