Modifying a Bayou burner for a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm not about to boil with this new burner (new to me) without modifying the base so the keggle sits snugly on there. If I had a chop saw and a mig welder there wouldn't be a problem. But I don't have access to either so I'm curious if there's an easier fix out there. If not I need to befriend someone around here with a metal shop.....

I was in the same position with my first session using the keggles last week and ended up using 1/4" hose clamps on each of supports and it worked just fine. Would rather have something welded but the clamps will do and wasn't worried about a spill at all.

One other thing to try is using a bbq grill grate set on top of the burner (e.g. this from a big box store). I have used that with a Bayou burner + keggle and it works.

One other thing to try is using a bbq grill grate set on top of the burner (e.g. this from a big box store). I have used that with a Bayou burner + keggle and it works.

This is pretty much what I was planning to do for mine until I can gather all the parts for a rig. I've got the keggle cut open, need into install the valve/dip tube, etc... But won't have the setup for the rig for a while.

+1 on the grill grate . I have a $20 circular one that works great for my keggle on the Bayou. I had to grind the grate a little to get a nice fit but it was pretty easy.

I had the same problem. Go to HD and pick up 3 - 1/2" x 2" or 3" length nipples (black steel tubes with threads on either end). They are in the plumbing section. Pick up 3 bolts, nuts and washers too.

Drill 3 holes around the perimeter of the burner, put bolts through the nipples, through the holes on the burner and that will give you a larger circumference to rest your keg. Works beautifully and costs about $5. I'm not at work so can't provide any pictures or specifics on the hardware, but hopefully you get what I mean....

Here ya go

img00023201009021745.jpg

img00024201009021746.jpg

NECROMANCY!

Timm, what drill bit and tequnique did you use to drill into the burner ring? Just got my SP50 and planning to use with a keggle. I'd like to do your mod instead of throwing a BBQ grate on top.

NECROMANCY!

Timm, what drill bit and tequnique did you use to drill into the burner ring? Just got my SP50 and planning to use with a keggle. I'd like to do your mod instead of throwing a BBQ grate on top.

I just started with a small hole and used 2 more increasingly larger bits to get to the size I needed. They were just regular metal bits, no step bit, nothing out of the ordinary. I did this on two burners with no problems.

Tim

Good to know. Thanks.

I don't drill metal often. I would probably have grabbed the biggest bit in the drawer and just had at it. ;P

I'll go slow and step up the bit size a few times.

Back