Beer is good for nursing Mothers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Ireland, they give Guiness to new mothers after delivery. I is supposed to help with red blood cell production.

My mother-in-law told me the doctor said she should have a beer a day to help with milk production way back when she had her first kid. I couldn't believe a doctor would say that but hey we are in Wisconsin :)

In Ireland, they give Guiness to new mothers after delivery. I is supposed to help with red blood cell production.

Past tense, it's not done anymore. And I suspect it was little more than a smart marketing ploy by Guinness in the first place anyway.

Gotta be careful about alcohol transfer in breast milk for nursing mothers, though. I can't get my wife to have more than a sip or three at dinner. And she's a beer girl, too. She misses it.

I need to brew a tafelbier for her.

My sister believed in this whole-heartedly. She drank a bottle of my stout every day (or Guiness in a pinch. I don't know if it helped, but it sure didn't seem to hurt! My wife wouldn't go anywhere near alcohol while nursing.

hops and malted barley are both supposed to be good for lactation.

When she was nursing our three kids, my wife would wait until right after a feeding (so she had a couple hour window to get the alcohol out of her system) and then she would have an IPA.

Our doctor told us this. My wife is currently pregnant. basically said as long as you don't feel buzzed, your body is processing it all and the baby isn't getting anything. We're of course more careful than this just for careful sake, but that was the docs word.

My sister is a doctor, and I was surprised to see her drink a beer after nursing (she's not a big drinker anyways).

She didn't claim it had beneficial effects, but did say that if you drink it after feeding and several hours before feeding again it was perfectly fine and wouldn't affect the baby.

Doesn't help when the kid is ravenous and want to nurse every two hours. ;)

What can I say, he's got good taste.

And now look where you are!

Maybe beer during nursing = homebrewers later in life.

If this is true my wife will be drinking homebrew every day while nursing. I hope my kid (when i eventually have one) will get into beer like we are.

After 9 months of no alcohol, I don't think my wife will have ANY problems with this either lol

It is not only in Ireland where this was popular. It has held true in many areas. I know a gal from French Guyana who said all the ladies there used to drink Bank's Stout (i think, it was some stout) when nursing. Also, when women used to do the brewing they would make a beer when pregnant for consumption while nursing- more so for the nutritional value than alcohol value.

Also recently had a friend of my wife who gave birth and was advised that a porter or stout after nursing (1 a day) was not only acceptable but advised. I asked my good friend who is a doctor about this and it is indeed ok.

No where does this say that it is ok to get drunk while nursing but in moderation a good heavy stout a day can replenish a body.

Back