Opened my first beer about 2 minutes ago!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegstand

Reaction score
If anyone has seen my posts lately you know how excited I've been about doing my first ever brew. After a few weeks I opened my first Mr. Beer WCPA and I have to say it's pretty good. The taste is good...but lacking a little with the carbonation. Beer didn't have any head but I could still taste the carbonation which is why I'm drinking it as I type.

The addiction is now complete. I know you guys warned me, lol.

I couldn't wait any longer so that's why I opened one 11 days after I bottled them. I'll let the rest sit for another week so hopefully next time I get more carbonation. HOPEFULLY.

congrats welcome to the hobby now go brew more, let those beers sit for awhile and you will be rewarded.. I haven't seen your post before so welcome SLO brewer.

I know the feelling. I brewed my first batch a few weeks ago and bottled last thursday so now it's waiting time. I'm hoping to last 2 weeks before I pop one open !

really looking forward to it.

If anyone has seen my posts lately you know how excited I've been about doing my first ever brew. After a few weeks I opened my first Mr. Beer WCPA and I have to say it's pretty good. The taste is good...but lacking a little with the carbonation. Beer didn't have any head but I could still taste the carbonation which is why I'm drinking it as I type.

The addiction is now complete. I know you guys warned me, lol.

I couldn't wait any longer so that's why I opened one 11 days after I bottled them. I'll let the rest sit for another week so hopefully next time I get more carbonation. HOPEFULLY.

After only 11 days, the bottles are still carbing. It takes about three weeks for them to get done.

Congrats! Glad to hear your first batch is pretty decent. +1 on Eddie's comment - another week or so and carbonation will improve. Patience is a virtue!

That said, you should probably brew your next batch ASAP - worst part of starting out is when you run into dry spells while waiting for your next batch to carb! :D

Thanks alot, guys. I'll follow your advice Eddie and wait another 10 days which would then equal 3 weeks before I put them in the fridge. This has been fun, and you're right, Depot...I need to get started on my next batch. I'm going to stick with Mr. Beer for the next couple batches before I get comfortable brewing. Any suggestions on the next one? I heard the Honey Blonde was pretty good or the American Devil IPA.

Good to see another person from SLO on here. Have you ever been to any of the homebrew rallies up at Firestone or anything?

waiting for bottle carbing SUCKS. I have been entirely too impatient with my last 2 batches and threw a handful in the fridge while they were still half flat. A consequence that will teach me in the long run... but I just want my beer! and... lol... after so many gravity samples, I am used to drinking warm, flat (yet unbelievably tasty) beer! :mug:

Good to see another person from SLO on here. Have you ever been to any of the homebrew rallies up at Firestone or anything?

Another SLO brewer saying hi. Good luck on future brews!

Wow...that's awesome guys. SLO is the best place on earth. No WhiskeyT, haven't been to any of the Firestone homebrew rallies. How are they? Firestone California Ale is one of my all time favorite beers.

Ha ha, I just did the same thing. My first PM batch has been bottled for a grand total of 5 days - and I just couldn't wait, I really wanted one. Just like OP, I've been used to drinking the gravity reading flat and warm - even warm (basement is at about 65°) it is WAAAAAYYYYYY better than any of the Mr. Beer batches I made. This time I used corn sugar as opposed to table sugar, and for 5 days it is far more carbonated than I expected.
I'm gonna throw a couple in the fridge for this weekend to 'practice' for when they are truly ready in a couple more weeks.

There - that's my confession.

Wow...that's awesome guys. SLO is the best place on earth. No WhiskeyT, haven't been to any of the Firestone homebrew rallies. How are they? Firestone California Ale is one of my all time favorite beers.

Just another SLO brewer here sayin congrats. I work at the LHBS in SLO (Doc's Cellar). You should stop by and check out the shop sometime, there's usually a couple tasty brews on tap.

:mug:

Hey BIG CONGRATS Kegstand (I love the handle) on your first batch. I love reading posts like that -it reminds me of my first batch of bottles -I was so excited I could hardly stand it. Its an excellent hobby -I love it so much that I put up with the gout pain (because I refuse to give up the beer).

Hell yeah, the plane takes off

kottke.org/08/01/mythbusters-airplane-on-a-conveyor-belt

Homebrewing rawks, congrats

Latest posts

Back