Day 7 in the bottle pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackinskor

Reaction score
12438_194079658875_500723875_3145508_5987864_n.jpg

A bit of carbonation for day 7, not GREAT head, but a little. I also noticed the taste is there (orange, lemon, cascade hops) but it feels a little wimpy going down. Is there anything I can add to add a little more body? Add more extract? I'm eventually going to go AG method, but this was my first recipe I came up with and used what I had available -- hey it's only the start of my 2nd month! :)

They're Just not really ready yet.

The 3 weeks at 70 is only a "suggestion" or rule of thumb for low to average grav beers....below 1.060...But each beer is different and the gravity the longer it takes.

Read my blog Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning, for more info...

All you need to do is make sure it's above seventy degrees, and walk away for a couple more weeks.

NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED....once it is fully carbed and conditioned, it will have a different mouthfeel and body to it...but right now it isn't there....Yet.

:mug:

. . . but it feels a little wimpy going down. Is there anything I can add to add a little more body? Add more extract?

Well, you can do lots of things, but I think the best approach is to leave it, wait and let it mature, and enjoy it. Make a note that the next time you brew this recipe that you'd like to add a little body to it and adjust the recipe. Just my two cents! :)

NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED....once it is fully carbed and conditioned, it will have a different mouthfeel and body to it...but right now it isn't there....Yet.

:mug:

I am hoping the body and, as you say, mouthfeel, changes over the next 7-10 days at least but as for now, yes, it does taste and feel a bit wimpy :(

I am hoping the body and, as you say, mouthfeel, changes over the next 7-10 days at least but as for now, yes, it does taste and feel a bit wimpy :(

You're much stronger now than you were when you were six years old. It'll be very different once it's carbed up and conditioned. I'd be willing to bet you still have yeast in suspension in the bottles, which means there's still sugar that has yet to be turned into alcohol and CO2. And once they drop out, you still need to let them do whatever it is that they do that makes us love them so much.

Drinking green beers can be a very useful experience for your future brewing, though. I like to use at least one clear bottle for every batch so I can check to see how much yeast is still swimming around. Just hold it up to a light and look through it and you can see the little specks. Once they drop out, there is a drastic change.

If you are uncomfortable with the mouthfeel of the final product, you can adjust your recipe by adding maltodextrine or carapils. Both will increase mouthfeel or body.

Pappers-

Well, you can do lots of things

What are those things?
- Malto Dextrin - Increase fermentables and non-fermentables (more Body?)
- More Specialty gains - Increase non-fermentables (more body?)
- More priming sugar? would increased carbonation add "body"?
- Parital mash or AG - add additional proteins not included in extract?

Just a few ideas from a noob... didn't know if I was on track?

Back