Pitching onto super cold wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I had a CFC malfunction on Saturday, and ended up draining the wort into the carboy, and leaving it outside with an airlock on to cool. (I think ive figured out the CFC issue...) my question is, I pitched my yeast on the the wort Sunday morning, when the wort was about 35 degrees. will this cause any issues? I figured it cant hurt to ask!

Probably not, but it depends on the yeast temperature. If the yeast was at room temp and pitched onto a 35°F wort... that's a big difference and might shock the yeast a bit. Stressed yeast can cause some off-flavors, but how noticeable they are depends somewhat on the beer style. If it's a full-flavored ale, there's less a chance of noticing them than if it's a clean light lager.

Yeast vial or dry? cold or room temp ? if you pitched warm yeast to cold wort you may have shocked it but if it went from the fridge to the wort they will warm together and the yeast will start working.

Thats what i figured! its been inside for a day and a half, and its up to 61 degrees (so says the thermometor on it) but nothing is happening, heres hoping!

What would have happend if it had been room temp yeast? or liquid? :)

Back