Any trick to wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
Ive only just started brewing all grain and Im thinking about trying a Hefeweizen.

Is there any trick to brewing wheat beers? or are they pretty much the same as a barley based beer?

I would advise the use of rice hulls to prevent stuck sparges that can be caused by wheat.

I would advise the use of rice hulls to prevent stuck sparges that can be caused by wheat.

Im quite unskilled in the use of rice hulls, how...exactly...are they used? lay down like a pound of them on the bottom of my tun and then put the grains on top?

No, just mix them in like they were any other grain. However, I've never stuck a sparge in my stainless braid equipped mash tun even without hulls. Now, I think false bottoms are much more prone to sticking.

No, just mix them in like they were any other grain. However, I've never stuck a sparge in my stainless braid equipped mash tun even without hulls. Now, I think false bottoms are much more prone to sticking.

Awesome, seems easy enough, is there a generic ammount to use per pound of normal grain? or should I just chuck some in there? and as far as steel braid not getting stuck, thats great to hear, and suprising considering the extra cost of the false bottoms.

To reiterate; use the rice hulls, don't let your fermentation temps get too high, and do the protein rest or mini-decoction. Those are all important "tricks" IMO...

+1000 - my first wheat turned into some crazy concoction that I still have in the keg (after 10 months)... I can't bring myself to throw it out. :(

Bottle it up and stick it under the stairs...the kids will find it when they get into high school and maybe drink one or 3, then they'll have it after you die....and have that great memory of DAD!

+1000 - my first wheat turned into some crazy concoction that I still have in the keg (after 10 months)... I can'r bring myself to throw it out. :(

Since I do extract wheats, I guess I don't understand the "funk"? What happens? Is it related to AG or the flavor variations associated with fermentation temperatures to the hefe yeasts?

Since I do extract wheats, I guess I don't understand the "funk"? What happens? Is it related to AG or the flavor variations associated with fermentation temperatures to the hefe yeasts?

Its from the yeast strain. The funk is similar to blue cheese moldy aromas. I had one batch that was funkdafied and it turned out fine after 3 months time...

Fermentation temp is, to my mind, the most important thing to look out for in most if not all batches.

I second the rice hulls in the mash if you are All Grain. Stuck sparges suck.

Obviously you have to use a hefe yeast - that's where the main flavor profile comes from in a hefe. You can also ferment at higher or lower than normal temperatures to affect the flavor profile for more or less of the clove and banana flavors that hefes develop. This is one of my favorite styles and it is fairly easy to make.

Back