Oh, how I loathe FedEx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beards Brews

Reaction score
I find it utterly baffling how a company can make a delivery on Saturday, but on Monday they "cannot locate recipient."

I know it's not because I wasn't at home. I've been at home all day working in the garage with the door wide open. I haven't seen their truck in my neighborhood all day. When I pop inside for five minutes to check my email, I see that lovely little message. I can count on one hand the times that I've had a reasonably positive experience with fedex. They may be great in other parts of the country, but here they suck.

What ticks me off even more is that the delivery is parts from McMasterCarr, which I could have driven to and picked up myself in 3hrs round trip. Now, an order placed on Friday won't get here until Tuesday (that is if they can find the house this time.) Had I known I'd have to put up with this crap, I'd just drive down to McMasterCarr. Next time I will.

/rant.

happens all the time for us as well... we specifically ask them to leave packages at the doorstep of our one contractor's office and for some reason FEDEX always feel the need to say the package is undeliverable since no one is there and after 3 days of arugueing with them they finally leave it on the doorstep.

jerks.

I used to work shipping and receiving. I can honestly say that fedex ****s up the most stuff. Their delivery drivers are contractors, own their own trucks, and operate more or less like a franchise. This allows them to have their own version of quality control. If I'm shipping anything that needs a tracking #, I use UPS. DHL hires convicted felons IIRC, and fedex screws stuff up. Strangely enough, USPS(a government agency) is usually faster and less expensive than any of the major private carriers.

I find it utterly baffling how a company can make a delivery on Saturday, but on Monday they "cannot locate recipient."

I know it's not because I wasn't at home. I've been at home all day working in the garage with the door wide open. I haven't seen their truck in my neighborhood all day. When I pop inside for five minutes to check my email, I see that lovely little message. I can count on one hand the times that I've had a reasonably positive experience with fedex. They may be great in other parts of the country, but here they suck.

What ticks me off even more is that the delivery is parts from McMasterCarr, which I could have driven to and picked up myself in 3hrs round trip. Now, an order placed on Friday won't get here until Tuesday (that is if they can find the house this time.) Had I known I'd have to put up with this crap, I'd just drive down to McMasterCarr. Next time I will.

/rant.

Those scumbags do it on purpose, as far as I can tell. They'll find my house fine some of the time, other times they act like I live in the back'o'beyond...when in reality, I live in town, at an established residential address that's very easy to find. Once, those retards were "unable to locate address" for 5 consecutive days. My best guess is that I'm somewhere near the end of their loop, and if they're running behind and need to get home, they just lie and say they can't find the address. I can't think of any other plausible explanation for how they could fail to find an established urban address with big house numbers.

I had a car part delivered at my boyfriend's mother's place of business, because she was the only one with a car big enough to transport it. The name of the business(in the address field) made it clear that it was a school. They tried delivering the part at 9:30PM. :drunk:

I had a car part delivered at my boyfriend's mother's place of business, because she was the only one with a car big enough to transport it. The name of the business(in the address field) made it clear that it was a school. They tried delivering the part at 9:30PM. :drunk:

At least they found the place. :p

Oh, another time, I was shipping out warranty parts (at a car dealership, the dealership replaces parts, then in this case, Mercedes asks for them back to ensure that the dealership is actually doing the work, and then pays for the tech's labor and the parts based on getting the parts back), and Mercedes required that we ship them via fedex. After several weeks, Mercedes hadn't received their parts that we had shipped them, so I called fedex. Turns out they had a truck catch fire outside of portland, and didn't bother to contact anyone to tell them that their packages had caught fire. The dealership ended up losing over $10,000 as a result of that screwup.

What always happens to me is they try to deliver on a weekday during the workday so no one is home to sign for the package. OK, I understand that. Since I'm incredibly impatient I'll usually call up the 800 number when I get home to schedule to go pick up the package from the fed ex distribution center. So they say "ok show up between 7-8 tonight." And I go out there in the middle of the ghetto to get my package and try to find the one little door in the warehouse you're supposed to go in and stand in a line to pick up the package and when I finally get to the counter the high school dropout they have working there sighs and without saying "hold on" or "i'll be back in a second" turns around and disappears into the warehouse. Sometimes she is only gone 5 minutes, last time it was nearly 30! Finally she will show up and hand me the box that is more times than not torn to hell with a look on her face like it's my fault she couldn't find it and that she's doing me a favor for doing her job.

When I joined Cingular, I had the phone shipped to my address.

Fedex dropped it off at my next door neighbors(apartment), whom I had never met!!!

Thankfully, they were honest neighbors. That could have cost me a bit of $!

Sometimes they leave packages outside my apartment door (where people walk by and could easily take the package) when the apartment office is a mere 50 feet away and is open.

I have had the opposite happen to me on several occasions.

On one occasion, with the shipping instruction CLEARLY requiring a signature on drop off, they left a $25K pair of Fried Audio loudspeakers sitting in my drive way. Of which I managed to back my truck into, while backing out of the garage. Fortunately, I felt that I had bumped something and stopped. They wre packaged substantially enough that no damage was incurred but, the manufacturer was notified and FedEx was definitely talked to. The speakers were on a auditioning loan to me as I was considering carrying the line.

On a more recent occasion a delivery of hops was left at my doorstep and within a matter of hours was removed by a theif. I later found the package down the street with the contents gone. It was nearly 2 pounds of plug hops. Again, it was dicovered that the poackage was labelled for signature required. Fortunately, it was insured by the shipper so no actual losses were resulted.

On a more recent occasion a delivery of hops was left at my doorstep and within a matter of hours was removed by a theif. I later found the package down the street with the contents gone. It was nearly 2 pounds of plug hops. Again, it was dicovered that the poackage was labelled for signature required. Fortunately, it was insured by the shipper so no actual losses were resulted.

If it makes you feel any better, think of the MASSIVE headache that thief must have gotten from toking up that Cascade...

Call FedEx and tell them you must pick it up from the station today. They'll make it available as soon as the truck arrives... Still sucks, but beats waiting around another day.

My cousin had to have her laptop replaced and her new one was being shipped via FedEx and needed a signature upon arrival. The package was supposed to arrive on a certain date and FedEx confirmed that it had on their website and on the phone, but my cousin who stayed home from work that day never got it. The driver was sent out the next day to make sure he dropped it off at the right house. She never found out what happened to that computer, as FedEx couldn't give her a straight answer, and had to wait a few more weeks to be shipped another one. Either one of her neighbors got a new laptop or the driver kept it for himself.

Purolator is no better. I had 2 envelopes shipped overnight express on Wednesday and Friday last week and still have received neither package.

So I don't think it matters who ships it, they all suck.

Then again I had parts shipped from Korea via Fedex for my Hyundai on a Friday night and I received them Tuesday morning.

Back