British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'll be brewing this this weekend. it'll be the final brew on my current system. and if it turns out as good as the thread makes it out to be, i may do a 10 gallon batch as the maiden voyage on my new system.

I am brewing this on Saturday (39 hours and counting :))

Anyway...I noticed the 7 day primary and 14 day secondary.....

Normally I do not secondary my brews unless really necessary for the style, etc.......so what is the verdict on this.....is the secondary necessary? Is there a real reason for it on this particular beer?

Also, would I be looking for a 75% completion towards FG as my target to transfer to secondary?

I am brewing this on Saturday (39 hours and counting :))

Anyway...I noticed the 7 day primary and 14 day secondary.....

Normally I do not secondary my brews unless really necessary for the style, etc.......so what is the verdict on this.....is the secondary necessary? Is there a real reason for it on this particular beer?

Also, would I be looking for a 75% completion towards FG as my target to transfer to secondary?

I think i read many pages deep that the OP goes from primary to keg. Don't see why you'd need a secondary with this beer.

I think i read many pages deep that the OP goes from primary to keg. Don't see why you'd need a secondary with this beer.

Thanks for posting that....

The reason I asked is because his original recipe post...original thread...says 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary....sounds like he changed his process...thats good...I would rather not secondary if not needed

I've had this on the gas a little over a week now. Keezer was empty so I put the temp at 45 and have my pressure at 11 trying to keep this lowly carbed. Made the OPs recipe to the letter with the exception of the yeast. Went with WLP002 at 65f. Mashed at 154.5f and it left a lot of body in this one.

There's a lot going on in this one. The 002 left it clear as a bell. Light esters from the yeast with a little bit of mineral-like bite that I love in Brit beers. Nice coffee/caramel aroma. And the flavor starts with the malty, nutty slightly sweet flavor of a brown, giving just a hint of that earthy classic EKG taste as you swallow.

Excellent recipe! I need to break out my beer gun and bottle a few of these, then find a contest.

Brewed it today. Just pitched the yeast and sealed the bucket. Decent brewday but I boiled off an extra gallon. 4.5 in the bucket.

It was taking forever to get to a boil so I switched tanks and had more control over the flame. Think I went a little too high. No big deal. Or it may have been when that tank ran out of gas with somewhere between 32 and 16 minutes left in the boil. May have brought it back up to a too aggressive boil, or over compensated and boiled a few too many minutes. Regardless it was a good day. If manti t'eo had won the heisman it would have been even better.

Go irish

I think I'm going to brew this sometime this week. I was thinking of adding .75 lbs honey malt to make it a honey nut brown. Any input on this?

brett1341 said:
I think I'm going to brew this sometime this week. I was thinking of adding .75 lbs honey malt to make it a honey nut brown. Any input on this?

The beautiful thing about this hobby is that we are limited only by the number of ingredients we can find on this planet.

That being said. I would not personally add honey to this. I would be concerned that it would be too fermentable and run the risk of fermenting drier than you'd want. But honey would add an interesting layer to an already complex beer. To add honey, you might consider one of these options:
1. Add less (.3 to .5 gallons) so that the beer doesn't finish too dry.
2. Mash at a higher temp. Bump up 1 or 2 degrees and make your grain contribution a little less fermentable to account for the honey.
3. Go with a less attenuative yeast strain, something that will drop out before its done eating all the honey. That should leave some of the residual character and sweetness behind from the honey.

Personally, I would go with #2. I would mash at 155 or so, and just stir the honey in at flameout. That way you don't boil off all the awesome aromatics from the honey. If you really want to make the honey stand out, you could also play with the late hop addition. Adjust for IBUs and maybe make it a 20 or 30 min addition to reduce the chance that it clouds the contribution from the honey.

He said honey malt, not honey. Different animal really.

I think it would be worth a try, but I wouldn't have big hopes for it. I'm not of the opinion that it needs a bunch of sweetness.

I'll be brewing this up for the second time tonight but subbing biscuit malt for the victory, as my LHBS was out of it. Pretty sure it will taste just about the same though. Anyone have a suggestion of what to reuse this yeast on?

What did you start with. I started at 1054 and finished out, even with about 3.5 weeks in primary, at 1018.

How fast did this finish fermenting?

I need a fast finish for my next brew.

Does Notty ferment hard and fast?

If not any thoughts on using S-05?

When I brewed this I had the same thought. There seemed to be an inordinate amount of trubby debris in the fermenter. Almost as much as I had for the previous brew - an IPA with way more hop additions.

But I wouldn't worry about it. I can tell you that after nearly three weeks (in primary - I don't do secondaries) it has all settled out into a very compact layer at the bottom. I'm not sure what yeast you used, but it seems Nottingham does a nice tidy-up job and certainly flocculated well in my case.

I'll be bottling this weekend. Looking forward to taking a sneaky slurp and checking the pre-carb flavours.

Made quite a mess but probably the BEST SMELLING brew I've ever done.

ForumRunner_20121218_225221.png

ForumRunner_20121218_225228.png

ForumRunner_20121218_225234.png

ForumRunner_20121218_225247.png

ForumRunner_20121218_225253.png

I brewed this last week with only a minor modification to the original with substitutions of crystal 60 with 20 and the yeast brand. my LHBS was out of both. Can't remember the name of the other English ale yeast but the owner told me it was similar and should work fine.

this is my first usage of chocolate malt and oats. or anything other than S 05 yeast. definitely excited about it with all the great posts after tasting.

I usually wait three weeks before racking to bottles, is that third week unnecessary with this brew? would love to cut a week in my turnaround time.

Brewed my first Nut Brown Ale on Friday.

All good and into the fermenter - until I mixed up a Sweet Milk Stout recipe with the Nut Brown Ale recipe which were lying on the same table side by. The Sweet Milk Stout recipe called for lactose with the boil.

Thinking I had left it out, I quickly boiled 450 grams of lactose up on the stove, cooled it and put it into the fermenter with the Nut Brown.

Late that night I realised my mistake. The lactose was for the Sweet Milk Stout not the Nut Brown :confused:

Should I be worried ? Could it turn out good ? What do you guys think will be the result ?

It's bubbling away very briskly right now.

What temp did you mash at? Lactose is going to add some body and residual sweetness. So as long as you didnt mash too high I think it could come out good. Let us know though, I am curious. Thanks

Sipping I mashed at about 158 - 162 F, missed my target of 154 a bit.

Will this also affect it ?

Yes. You mashed very high, which created sweetness and unfermentables And then added lactose which adds sweetness and unfermentables. I think the beer is going to be very sweet and stop fermenting over 1.020

Thanks Sipping, still getting used my HERMS I built.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

What about dry hopping at some stage to counteract the sweetness ?

I just posted this recipe in the recipe section . I found it somewhere but could not remember where . Very good beer indeed !
I thought the guy said it won a blue ribbon for second place and had some pics up on photobucket . Is it yours ?

Fantastic recipe! Tasted it side by side with family and Dry Dock Brewing Co. Brown Ale and hands down everyone thought this was better. Thanks!
Cheers!

BigRedHopHead said:
Only difference was I used WLP 002.

I used 002 as well. My uncle, an absolute non drinker, will usually take a sip of whatever I have on tap just to be polite. He took 2 sips of this. That's high praise.

Fantastic recipe! Tasted it side by side with family and Dry Dock Brewing Co. Brown Ale and hands down everyone thought this was better. Thanks!
Cheers!

BLASPHEMY!!! Better than Dry Dock?!?

Theirs is pretty darn good. I just kegged this today so I will have to compare.

Side note about Dry Dock, my wife got me a growler a month for a year from Dry Dock for Christmas, I'm pretty happy!

I just did this recipe (10 gallon batch) this weekend. I split it into two carboys and am going to leave one as is and the other one will have 6oz of Frangelico, 3oz of Vanilla Coffee, and 3oz of Hazelnut Coffee added to it. I will post back the results in about 2 months to let everyone know how it is

Anybody think this beer would do well on some bourbon soaked oak chips? Got 10 gallons going and i'd like to change some up a bit

I'd use the oak sparingly. As brewed, it has a complex profile that is also really subtle. Perhaps you could bottle some is and oak some. I really enjoy it just brewed as is and kegged

Back