Brinkmann Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Bayou Classic SQ 14 and it think it is, all in all, a great piece of equipment. I see them at HD internet ordering only.. not on the stores. However, I was at HD tonight knocking around and saw a Brinkmann Burner that is 100K BTU's.. for $49.. Wow, that beats the BC by almost 2x. Looks stable with three legs, vs 4 which requires a flatter surface than the 3 legged variety.

Has anyone use these? The workabee that was in the department volunteered that he used one for brewing.. I didn't even tell him what I wanted it for.

I have not used the Brinkmann, but I own an SQ14. If the burner element in the Brinkmann is the same one as the SQ14 it will work just fine.

I just read 2 listings.

Brinkmann = 100,000 BTU
SQ-14 = 210,000 BTU

I have a Brinkmann turkey fryer burner and an SP-10.
I don't know if it is the same burner as the turkey fryer but the SP-10 is twice as fast and I plan to replace it as soon as it hits the top of my priority list of things to buy.

The Brinkmann will work but personally I would opt for the BC. I will be going with the SP-10 which is close to the price of the Brinkmann.

FYI.. so far as I understand...

Brinkmann= 100K BTU
SQ14= 55K BTU

I have read a number of posts about the SQ14 and a lot of folks love it.. probably for the rigid framework and heating smaller amounts of wort/water into the 10G range.. but it suffers from a time to boil. Some have no real issue with that.

So, today I called Bayou burners and asked.. Can this unit be used with a 20 psi regulator. They said NO. Only use a 10 psi. This goes well with what some said about the flame jumping off the burner or blowing out.

So, while it may work with a 15 psi regulator.. I didn't ask that question.. it won't work properly with a 20 psi.. unless on possibly throttled it way back so the flame is ON the burner.. not above it.

Don't shoot the messenger.. I'm just repeating what Bayou Classic said. So..... now on to deciding if I want the Brinkmann at a nice price.. or spend more for a likely heavier duty Bayou burner that works at higher BTU's I don't think I want a jet burner.. too much noise for me. :)

I looked for a new burner recently, as the 5psi turkey fryer burner I used for partial boils outside was taking a bit longer. When I do full batch AG brews, I have an SP-10 that I got from lowes for under $50. They'll offer 10% if you ask in most cases, atleast thats the case I've found.

Anyways.. for $43 bucks or whatever it cost me, the SP-10 is a beast. Puts some serious heat out, and fast. I had to throttle the gas down with the needle valve when I started my wort boil, as it was boiling like mad, almost over boiled and I had PLENTY of room in the pot. It's decent on gas too!

Any idea how long it takes to bring 5-7 gallons to a boil with the SP10?

I have never timed it but it takes my Brinkmann turkey fryer (about 50k btu) about 20 -50 minutes from hot tap water to 168. and the SP-10 takes 10 - 15 minutes from mash to boiling. It usually catches me off guard.

Just looked and saw BTU for the SP-10 at 185k

How many BTU's is yours? I've read some have a 185k BTU unit.. must be a 20psi regulator. Others have the 10psi regulator which must now be the standard.

How many BTU's is yours? I've read some have a 185k BTU unit.. must be a 20psi regulator. Others have the 10psi regulator which must now be the standard.

I don't know, I just looked at the manual and it only has info on using it and pages and pages of warnings.

I looked at the regulator and the only thing it says, other than some manufacturing marks and "made in China" is "high pressure"

It probably said on the box, but that is long gone.

Any idea how long it takes to bring 5-7 gallons to a boil with the SP10?

Mine takes around 20 minutes from tap to boiling.

I can get my wort from mash to boil, 8 gallons total, in like 10 maybe.. It's really fast.

I think my regulator is only 10psi, but I'm not sure. Has a SS 48 hose on it, and a needle valve.

I'm impressed with it for sure.

Back